Another ABS Light Thread 02 F150

Old 09-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ABS Light Thread 02 F150

First off, I have searched the ABS lights and no definitive answer to my problem so, here I am. This is my second try at this because my first one disappeared when I attempted to hit send. Even though "auto-save" appeared to be working it's gone.
My 2002 F150 Lariat 4x4 127k suddenly the ABS light turned on and stayed on. A trip to Autozone to retrieve the codes revealed C1155, C1233, C1234, nothing more. The net said both sensors failed, or something to that level, but what are the odds of both failing suddenly at the same time? Any help with this? With 18 years on Michigan salt the rust is pretty thick and I have my doubts about removing the sensors without breaking them, that is IF the sensors are the problem. Then again, while I'm at I could just replace both hubs which includes new sensors, but that seems excessive. I'm trying to avoid throwing parts at it when I don't know for sure what the problem is. Any help out there, tips, tricks, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Darrel (Deke)
NE Michigan

Old 09-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I have NO expertise with ABS sensors, but your description sounds to me like the wiring to them could be bad. I would suspect corroded connections, considering salted roads. If you can check and verify the quality of the wiring to them, you might solve your issue.

- Jack

Old 09-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
What Jack says is good advice.

Also check to make sure you don't have any infestations, like chewed up wiring from mice/squirrels/chipmunks/rat, etc.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Light

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I have NO expertise with ABS sensors, but your description sounds to me like the wiring to them could be bad. I would suspect corroded connections, considering salted roads. If you can check and verify the quality of the wiring to them, you might solve your issue.

- Jack
Thanks for the responses. The fact that the codes indicate problems in both sides and happened at the same time (which seems unlikely) indicates to me that something happened suddenly. I've mulled over the importance (to me) of even having working anti lock brakes on an 18 year old truck that gets very little use. I'm not inclined to spend a lot of time and money chasing something that spends 99% percent of it's time sitting idle not doing anything when the brakes work fine without it. I'm seriously considering black electrician tape for a final cure.
Deke
NE Michigan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another ABS Light Thread 02 F150