Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
How to check front ABS modules/wheel speed sensor

Are they the same thing? My ABS is kicking in, as I slow down to a stop. No ABS light on, so no codes to read. I checked the rear module with the ohm meter(it was good) and cleaned it, but still having the problem. Am I going to have to take it in to have the wheel speed sensors checked? Or is there something I can do at home yet? 2000 Ford F150 4x4
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to mkosu04
They are not the same thing... the ABS module is a cube-shaped object near the master cylinder. It has 2 lines in and 4 lines out (or 3 lines out if your rears are combined). It has valves and the controller built into it.

The wheel speed sensors are at the wheels. They indicate your speed and they tell the ABS controller whether your wheels are locking up.

You don't say it, but I assume you are on dry pavement when the ABS is kicking in? If it is wet or icy then maybe the ABS is needed.

What do you mean by "checked the rear module"? How did you know it was good?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
I guess I should have clarified, I checked the rear ABS module to the best of my ability. I disconnected it and checked the resistance, it was around 1750, which I read is good. I also cleaned it. I'm not really able to do any spinning wheel tests. I'd like to check the rear brakes to make sure a spring hasn't broke or something. But the last time I took it in they tightened the lugs so tight with an air wrench, I can't even get them off. I'll have to try again or take it in. The ABS are kicking in on dry pavement. ABS over activation I think they call it. After reading things, sounds like it could be a wheel speed sensor. Not sure how to check these, so I don't totally get taken.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM