Rear Brake Hoses/Lines - strange fitting size question, and my notes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Hoses/Lines - strange fitting size question, and my notes.

Ok, I just finished replacing all the brake lines and hoses on the rear of my 1997 F250. I'll add some info below that may be of info to others, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain why Ford used a 1/4 fitting on one side of the tee connection on the rear axle. The lines are all 3/16, but the fitting on the steel brake line going to the driver's side has the thread diameter of a fitting that would normally be on 1/4" line.

Now for those who may need to do the same thing, here are all the hoses.

The hose that goes from the main brake line to the rear axle I had to get from Ford (I think it was $80 or $90). The other 2 hoses I got from Autozone ($30 each), there is a difference between left side and right side with the fitting that connects to the caliper. Then I just picked up some universal 3/16" Poly Armour brake lines from Advance Auto (I'm pretty impressed with those brake lines) for like $6 each.
As I mentioned earlier, one side of the tee connection (the splitter on the rear axle) used a larger 1/4" fitting, so I needed to use an adapter (thankfully NAPA had one because Advance didn't and I didn't notice the odd fitting side until I had everything torn apart).

Other tips: T
The "extra" hose that looks like it comes out of the center of the tee connection is actually a vent hose for the rear axle/differential (the hose just goes up under the bed and ends). It's basically connected to a hollow bolt (a new one is shown in the 1st pic) that us used to connect the tee connector to the rear axle. I'm happy to say that the bolt wasn't too difficult to remove given 14 years of Wisconsin road salt (I was expecting trouble). I did saturate it with PBblaster a day before removing it though.

The original brake hose and steel line going to each side are each one piece (you can't just replace the brake line or the brake hose). The hose is clipped into a bracket near the caliper. The replacement hoses from autozone didn't exactly fit into the same bracket (they were close) but with a little filing on the bracket, tI got them to fit nicely using the same original clip.

Oh, and here's a pic after everything was finished.

Last edited by wrongdave; 06-05-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake line fitting size

I just went through this today (replaced both rear brake lines and flex hoses) on my 1999 F250.
The drivers side fitting WrongDave is calling a 1/4". is actually a 7/16"-24 Inverted Thread Size, for a 3/16" tube size
The manufacturer of the fitting I bought is AGS, and the part number is BLF-11C. Purchased at AutoZone.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...1_156841_3048_
http://www.agscompany.com/automotive...s/tube-nuts/87

Last edited by NEPA_guy; 03-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Hoses/Lines - strange fitting size question, and my notes.