40" tires? fitment advice

Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 40" tires? fitment advice

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to this forum. I currently have a 2008 fx4 with a 6" lift with 37" toyo MT's. The tires are getting fairly worn and will need changing out soon. I like the way it looks but thought it might look cool to add a 3" body lift and fit some 40"s. I have done some research and some say that this would be too much for the drivetrain to handle.. I am un sure if changing the gears would help or not. Not really looking to change gear ratio at this time. Gonna upgrade the intake and get an exhaust to free up some more hp.

I realize that some may hate on this idea, since I prob won't be bringing my truck through any swamps or anything, but any advice would be great.

thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Did you regear at all with the 37" because with 40"s it will kill your truck if you didnt... Also if you wheel you gotta be prepared to break parts with that big of tire on a half ton ifs **** will hit the fan. People are twisting drive shafts breaking front diffs etc...gears will help a lot but it will still be weak...do a search there are a few people talking about their tires and what has broken thus far

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 AM
No i only purchaed the truck 2 months ago... I have no idea if anything was done to compensate for larger tires... I don't do much off roading and the truck is kind of a curb star. lol. I kinda want the bigger look, but if stuff is gonna break then i prob will just stick to the 37's

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 AM
If you dont plan to wheel your truck go for it, theres a few guys with 40s and even 41s, one I know does wheel but not sure how hard...if you plan to wheel I woulnt go any larger than 38s, just my opnion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 40" tires? fitment advice