Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

OEM Wheel interchange by years

I have searched pages of forums and have not been able to find the years that will interchange on OEM wheels. Some say 04 to 08 and then 09 and up. Some say 04 to present. Is the TPMS the only difference? None of the Wheel tire combos come with the TPMS any way.

Please Help. I want to put my 20s up and bolt on some 17s or 18s with a MS or light AT tread. I do a lot of miles and want to get a tire that does not require a mortgage for replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Bryan
Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Not sure what year your truck is but if its a 04+, as long as the wheel has a 6x135 bolt pattern and a minimum diameter of 17" it will work. As far as TPMS, thats not critical. If your truck is equiped with it and the wheels are not, you may get the light on.

Idealy get a tire that will have the same outer circumference as the 20's you were running so your speedometer and shift points are the same.

2008 4x4 Lariat 5.4 SCREW, Navigation
2.5" Auto Spring, BOW, K&N Drop In
DH Platinum, Gryphon Programmer, Wagner TQ
295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, Magnaflow SI/SO
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the reply. I was just confused because many of the adds specify 04 to 08. I have a '10 model and would be willing to put the sensors in the "new" wheels.
The stock 18s have the same revs per mile as the stock 20s, but the 17" tires are slightly smaller. I don't particularly like the low rider- rubber band look of the 20"wheels on the 4x4, but I know my mileage would suffer if I put bigger tires on the 20" wheels. I put 60K miles per year and a mile or two to the gallon makes a big difference in my wallet. I will continue to look for a deal on the 17" or 18" wheels and tires.

Bryan
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
I have an 04 OEM set of 17" wheels that I use in the winter on my 09. However there are some 04-05 18" wheels (specifically OEM FX4) that will not work on 09 up. Mainly due to the wheels hitting the side of the caliper, not the top.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish51 View Post
I have an 04 OEM set of 17" wheels that I use in the winter on my 09. However there are some 04-05 18" wheels (specifically OEM FX4) that will not work on 09 up. Mainly due to the wheels hitting the side of the caliper, not the top.
Thanks for that, I did not know about that one instance - good to know. To the OP I apologize for missing this.

2008 4x4 Lariat 5.4 SCREW, Navigation
2.5" Auto Spring, BOW, K&N Drop In
DH Platinum, Gryphon Programmer, Wagner TQ
295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, Magnaflow SI/SO
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Yeah, after I heard about this, I was worried that mine would not fit. I had already had tires and valve stem sensors mounted on the, but had not put them on. When I did, the 17" wheels just cleared the side of the caliper. My guess by less than 1/16th of an inch. Mine are 17" standard XLT wheels from the 04 model year.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM