grinding when stopping and or turning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding when stopping and or turning...

this is kinda weird. not really sure what it could be. but its been happening for awhile. I had my front rotors and pads replaced in february and the same for my back ones in june/july. whats been happening even before i had the brakes done, is im getting a grinding sensation/feeling underneath my feet as im going into a turn or just stopping. its not in the back just the front it feels like. and its not making a grinding noise but i can just feel it through the floor. its usually worse when im stopping while going down a hill. ive even rolled down the window and tried listening to any major noises but its nothing bad at all. you can just kinda hear a slow winding down or grinding of something when stopping. im lost at what it could be. maybe the ball joints... or calipers not releasing. and once in awhile ill get squeaking from my brakes when coming to a stop. but i cant believe i would need new rotors and pads when i just had them replaced not to long ago. sorry for the bad explanation but its kinda hard to explain. any ideas? thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Sounds like front bearings... Have you had your tires replaced recently? I installed a set of Hankook's on my '02 Stang GT four years ago and I immediately noticed what you are experiencing. I replaced all pads, rotors, both spindles, 2 calipers, RF Balanced and a alignment which did nothing to resolve my problem.

I had a Mustang Guru drive it for me one afternoon and he immediately said "It's the tires". I replaced them and it was immediately fixed...

I hope this helps...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Sounds like front bearings... Have you had your tires replaced recently? I installed a set of Hankook's on my '02 Stang GT four years ago and I immediately noticed what you are experiencing. I replaced all pads, rotors, both spindles, 2 calipers, RF Balanced and a alignment which did nothing to resolve my problem.

I had a Mustang Guru drive it for me one afternoon and he immediately said "It's the tires". I replaced them and it was immediately fixed...

I hope this helps...
well i had new tires put on about a year ago. last october i think. general grabber at2 tires, normal factory size. bad bearings do sound more like the problem. so do u think i should get the bearings replaced and then get new tires? is that what you did with your mustang? or did you just replace the tires and not worry about the bearings or did those have to be replaced to? just wondering what i all have to do to get this fixed.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Your describing and issue I'm also having, and as mentioned my first thought was wheel bearings. It's possible they went bad again, in my case, when I had the lift installed both where bad even before the lift. Luckily the shopped checked out all the front end components and noticed this.

My second suspicion was the IWE's or 4wd not disengaging fully, possible loss of vacuum, etc... The system checked out however. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and replace the wheel bearings before I put on my new set of tires.

But I get the grinding sensation when turning, and when slowing down like you mentioned, and its only felt through the pedals sometimes and the floorboard. I have noticed while driving it seems rougher (through the floorboards, and small vibrations); have you noticed any of this?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
Your describing and issue I'm also having, and as mentioned my first thought was wheel bearings. It's possible they went bad again, in my case, when I had the lift installed both where bad even before the lift. Luckily the shopped checked out all the front end components and noticed this.

My second suspicion was the IWE's or 4wd not disengaging fully, possible loss of vacuum, etc... The system checked out however. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and replace the wheel bearings before I put on my new set of tires.

But I get the grinding sensation when turning, and when slowing down like you mentioned, and its only felt through the pedals sometimes and the floorboard. I have noticed while driving it seems rougher (through the floorboards, and small vibrations); have you noticed any of this?
this is exactly what is happening. and the funny thing there is no noise really. just a kind of whining/grinding feeling. like a slow grinding sensation when stopping or turning. im going to just get the bearings replaced. dumb question but are the bearings in the front the same with the back?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 8fx4
this is exactly what is happening. and the funny thing there is no noise really. just a kind of whining/grinding feeling. like a slow grinding sensation when stopping or turning. im going to just get the bearings replaced. dumb question but are the bearings in the front the same with the back?

I don't believe so. I searched around a bit today and found the bearings for about 40 bucks a piece and it was my understanding 4wds have two bearings per hub? They also sell the whole new hub assembly with bearings for around 160.

I read a write up that said it's a fairly easy job to do it either way, just how much labor you want to put into the project.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
when I come to a stop, making a left or right hand turn I turn my wheels in the direction I want to go like everyone does, (look both ways lol) then when I press the gas to make the turn, there is a terrible vibration that rips through the floorboard and continues until the tires are straight. also, when making a really tight turn, my hubs I think make a scraping noise. say "eee-an" out loud fastly and that is exactly what it sounds like. I know this is stupid, but I cant think of any other way to explain it. I just got 2 new front hubs 3 months ago, followed by new 33" a/t's 3 weeks later. maybe this is considered similar to what you guys are experiencing? any help will be appreciated

Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
when I come to a stop, making a left or right hand turn I turn my wheels in the direction I want to go like everyone does, (look both ways lol) then when I press the gas to make the turn, there is a terrible vibration that rips through the floorboard and continues until the tires are straight. also, when making a really tight turn, my hubs I think make a scraping noise. say "eee-an" out loud fastly and that is exactly what it sounds like. I know this is stupid, but I cant think of any other way to explain it. I just got 2 new front hubs 3 months ago, followed by new 33" a/t's 3 weeks later. maybe this is considered similar to what you guys are experiencing? any help will be appreciated

I'm not sure about the OP, but in my case I haven't had any 'major' vibrations. I have had noticeable vibrations, or roughness as i like to describe it, when stopping, turning (mostly right for me) and when accellerating and many times during the 50-65 mph range. mine are mostly slight though, none id consider like what your describing. Are you a 2wd or 4wd? if its a 4wd it sounds like 4wd might not be disengaging, possibly?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
8fx4,

I would start with the bearings. I've had issues with Ford bearings going bad (dry out) after 20K miles of driving. I'm not to keen on Ford's new bearings on the Stangs or Trucks. It's very easy for water to infiltrate the grease in the bearings. I still prefer the 60's thru 90's cars and trucks for their sealed bearing design.

I'm not certain about the 4wd trucks but on the 2wd trucks it is a simple rotor replacement. Ensure you check any new rotor for warpage before leaving the part's store. I replaced my rotors a few months ago and had to return because the exciter ring for the ABS system was warped which threw an ABS light after the first brake application when driving.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Any luck with your issue so far?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM
hey guys. just an update, but yeah it was my wheel bearings. got them fixed. also had my tune up done as well which costed a fortune with four spark plugs breaking in the block. not good. but thanks for all the help fellas.

Quick Reply: grinding when stopping and or turning...