Nitto 285/65-18 TG Review - Long post

Old 12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto 285/65-18 Terra Grappler Review

Ran my original Goodyear Wrangler ATS tires to 65K+ miles and tried one last trip through the Sierras since the weather report looked clear. Well, mother nature threw a curveball, and let's just say I was along for the ride in the ice and snow. Decided I'm getting too old for that kind of white knuckle experience. Knowing how expensive new tires are and how long they will last, I did a ton of research on what would work best for my needs. I wanted tires that didn't kill fuel mileage, ride smooth & quiet on the highway, no front end level kit required (carry lots of weight), didn't 'rollover' when cutting in turns on curvy roads, could handle light off-roading, and look a bit beefier than the OEM's. Thoroughly reviewed the tire forum and settled on Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/65-18 after debating the 275/70-18's. Also considered Bridgestone Revos and the new Falken Wildpeaks. So here's my observations: Going one size bigger and C to E range, I noticed a little loss in acceleration on hills. (New tires are 3.5lbs heavier, 0.5" taller, and 0.5" wider) Tranny actually feels better suited now how it shifts up&down holding gear a bit longer. I'm running 3.73's, Edge level 2, Gotts Mod, and 43psi. The tires balanced out nicely with very little weight. Slight steering nibble is gone, 80mph feels smoother than 55mph before. My concerns for installing and E load range tire were unfounded, ride quality didn't suffer at all. Front end 'rollover' in curves is gone. Back-end 'skip-out' on rough pavement is gone. Slight hum on highway, nothing objectionable. Would never hear it if you have an aftermarket exhaust. Haven't ran them in the snow, but inspired confidence in the rain. Drove a couple fire roads in 2wd, way grippier than the Wranglers even when they were new. Back end is much better planted even with bed empty. They did pick up quite a few rocks in the tread lugs so I'm happy tires are tucked into the fender wells unlike my Ranger which has lot's of battle scars from throwing rocks. I've only run 3 tanks of fuel since installing them, so I don't have a real good gauge on how mileage was affected but initial calculations show 14 to 13 in town and 17 to 16.5 on the highway running 68-74 with 1200 lbs in the bed. May play with air pressure some to boost mileage without hurting ride & wear. Bottom line, want to thank everyone for their input, I couldn't be happier. Couple of pics in my album...

Last edited by Norcal; 12-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
good to hear, as I am looking at these tires also. but going a bit taller and wider. just havent made a final decison yet.
275 70 18 or 295 70 18

Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice review. I run the same tires on mine, and have had good luck with them so far. I dont think I'll get near the 65k mark though.

Last edited by lowblueranger; 12-06-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Be careful with teh NITTO TG term....as it could stand for Terra Grappler or Trail grappler.

Im guessing on this post your toalking about the Terras!?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Good point! Fixed it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitto 285/65-18 TG Review - Long post