Shakes when braking and no parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakes when braking and no parking brake

i have a 2001 f150 screw 4x4 and when i brake my truck shakes. i also have no parking brake, it just doesnt work.

ive searched and searched and thought it was front rotors but found this in a thread and im a most certain this is it. becuase it explains truck shake and park brake problem.

copied...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the culprit! It was the rear drivers side causing the shake. It look's like the e-brake was slightly engaged (rusted in position) and either warped the rotor or was just sticking.One side of the e-brake pad was completely worn off.So to cap it off,front rotor/hub assemblies,bearings,front shocks,idler arm,rear rotors and pad's and no more shake. I had to douse the e-brake assembly (both sides) in lubricant and jiggle it back and forth to loosen it up also.All that time and money for one brake,lol. At least I don't have to worry about any of it for quite awhile. Just thought I'd update.
And thank you everyone for all the replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

now my question is... can anyone walk me through on how to tackle this fix. i want to do it myself but dont know didly about brakes....

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what type of rear brakes do you have? Drums or Rotors?

If its the Rotors, it is a "Drum-in-Hat" setup where there is a small parking brake "inside" the rotor. Chances are that this rusted out and parts are dragging and causing the shaking. The rusted parts may also be causing the lack of parking brakes.

I'd recommend going to a shop, or if you are able - pull the rear wheels off, remove the rotors, and inspect for damage.

Quick Reply: Shakes when braking and no parking brake