Brake Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Warning Light

Hey all! Yes, I've done a few searches on this but just wanted to see if there was any further input.

My brake warning light has been popping on/off for a while now. Sometimes it stays on after start up then goes off only to come back on, other times its off then comes on and stays on for a while then just randomly goes off. I've searched other posts and most say that it is either due to low brake fluid or a stuck e-brake pedal. I've tried pulling the e-brake up but to no avail. I've checked the fluid and it's fine. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the sensor plug at the master cylinder but it still comes and goes. Here's the wild thing...once in a while, when it comes on I will tap the area above the e-brake release or slam the door and it will sometimes (not all the time) go off.

I'm just wondering if this is the sign of a short somewhere or is there really something going on with the brakes? I haven't had a chance to pull the wheels off to see how much meat is left on the pads but they feel fine. Until I figure this out, thinking of just putting some electric tape over the light because it is annoying as hell!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW - It's a 2005 SCREW

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Try adjusting the sensor on the e-brake pedal. Perhaps the pedal is fully released but the sensor is just barely touching it.

If that doesn't work, try replacing the FLI (Fluid Level Indicator) in the reservoir. This is what they wire connects to... you should be able to squeeze the opposite side and pull it out. Get a new one from the Ford Dealer.

The FLI has a glass reed switch in it and perhaps that has gone bad or cracked.

If neither of those work, it might be an issue somewhere else in the electrical system... that could be quite difficult. So hopefully its one of these 2 easy fixes.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone know the part number for the fluid level indicator?

I asked this in another thread and just got a bunch of suggestions from people to check my e-brake sensor. Well, I know it's not that, as I've checked EVERYTHING in the brake system, and even had one of my co-workers check it too. I tend to trust his opinion on stuff, as he's an ASE Master Technician with 33 years in the industry.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm suspecting the FLI as well. Yesterday, when I pulled in my garage the light was still on so I decided to leave the engine running and pull the FLI. Light did go off then when I plugged it back in light came back on. I figured that may have been it but when I unplugged it, this time the light stayed on. Unplugged it...light stayed on. WTF?!?! I'll try toying around with the e-brake sensor some more and see what's up.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Most FLIs are diagnostic... they either have 3 pins or have 2 pins and a small resistor so the computer knows if they are unplugged and keeps the light on.

Otherwise if your FLI wire broke you would never know if your brake fluid was low.

As for the on/off/on... it might take the computer a little while to notice that its unhooked...

Quick Reply: Brake Warning Light