Do 10-ply "E" rated tires suck, ride-wise, or are they ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Do 10-ply "E" rated tires suck, ride-wise, or are they ok?

My truck came with P-rated 20" tires but, because I tow my RV trailer in the summer, I want to put summer LT-rated tires on a set of 18" Lariat rims that I picked up. I tow, I haul (some) but the closest thing I'll ever get to off-roading might be to mount a curb trying to u-turn.

The OEM (18") size LT275/65R18 has lots of choices from "C"-rated 6-ply up to "E"-rated 10-ply. I've never had a tire as heavy as a 10-ply before and I'm worried the E rated tires will harsh my ride. So I like the 6-ply tires but I would also like a little more sidewall and this size tire offers (child of the 60's).

The next size LT285/65R18 ads a bit of sidewall and is about 1/2" taller than OEM and comes in a "D" or an "E" but there's not as many choices and the only "D" is a Yoko-Geolandar... (which is pretty pricey).

The size I want is the LT275/70R18, which there's lots of, but I can only find it in a 10-ply "E" rated tire. Seems like the best value in this tire (consumer ratings vs. price) is the Hankook Dynapro RF10. My winter tires are the Hankook iPike RW11's and I really, really like them. So I figured to roll the dice on the summer ones... but, again, worried about the ride.

I have firestone ride-rite airbags and Bilstein 5100 shocks so (I suspect) I'll hardly even notice the tire but... I really don't know. I also wondered if the taller sidewall on the 70-series 10-ply might compensate (a bit) compared to the softer-but-shorter sidewall on the 6-ply 65-series.

Anybody using a 10-ply tire that can advise me on this? Are we talking "teeth-loosening ride" or "barely noticable/ slightly stiffer ride"?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 285/65-18 E rated BFG A/Ts and yes it's stiffer than stock, but not too bad. I still get compliments that my truck rides well when someone rides in it for the first time, so I think you will be alright.

Keep in mind though that my idea of a "good" ride, is a truck. Mine is stiff but not harsh, if that makes sense.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
I have 285/65-18 E rated BFG A/Ts and yes it's stiffer than stock, but not too bad. I still get compliments that my truck rides well when someone rides in it for the first time, so I think you will be alright.

Keep in mind though that my idea of a "good" ride, is a truck. Mine is stiff but not harsh, if that makes sense.
X2, they're not bad, but there is a difference. They hit the road cracks a little harder. I also have the stiffer riding Bilstein shocks/struts, but I like the way the truck rides.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
there is no benifit to a E rated tire. you will never max out a C rated tires capacity on a half ton, also a E rated tire requires more pressure to be safe even while unloaded which makes the ride stiffer. Not to mention the heavier construction makes them take more weight to balance and are prone to vibration on trucks with as low of unsprung weight as the f150

Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
there is no benifit to a E rated tire.
Do you mean a 10 ply sidewall wouldn't be less prone to sidewall puncture?

also a E rated tire requires more pressure to be safe even while unloaded

According to who?
I run my BFG E rated tires at the same tire pressure as I ran my C rated Firestone Destination AT LT's. Are my tires not safe at 40 psi?

Not to mention the heavier construction makes them take more weight to balance and are prone to vibration on trucks with as low of unsprung weight as the f150
My E rated tires didn't take anymore weight to balance than the C rated tires I had. Due to their heavier construction, not only are they tougher, but they don't flat spot as easily, and they're silk smooth on the highway with not the slightest vibration, even at speed. In fact, I've always given the Firestone Destination AT's high regards, but these BFG's are even smoother on highway.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Do you mean a 10 ply sidewall wouldn't be less prone to sidewall puncture?

According to who?
I run my BFG E rated tires at the same tire pressure as I ran my C rated Firestone Destination AT LT's. Are my tires not safe at 40 psi?

My E rated tires didn't take anymore weight to balance than the C rated tires I had. Due to their heavier construction, not only are they tougher, but they don't flat spot as easily, and they're silk smooth on the highway with not the slightest vibration, even at speed. In fact, I've always given the Firestone Destination AT's high regards, but these BFG's are even smoother on highway.

I echo the above post. My Toyos are E rated and they ride a heck of alot better than the crappy Scorpions that came on my truck. They all took less than 1.5 ozs per wheel to balance and they ride amazing. Very smooth on the interstate and alot more responsive around town. I run 42 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear and they are wearing very even. I wish I would have purchased them a long time ago. My .o2

Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM
there is no benifit to a E rated tire.

I'm not looking for an E-rated tire. I'm looking for an LT275/70R18 (which I can only find in an E-rated tire).

My question isn't about whether the E-rated tire is beneficial; it's "is an E rated tire so gosh darned rough-riding that I should just get a smaller tire in a C or D rating?"

Be that as it may, I appreciate your input... as well as 302's rebuttle.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM
That was my predicament. I could not find a 33" tire in a 20" wheel in anything less than "E" rated. I was very apprehensive about my purchase, but am glad I did. I did not have good luck with any BFG AT tire, be it balance, ride, longevity, but my Toyos have surprised me. I love 'em and recommend them to anyone who values their truck's ride and capability.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I got a 33" (P275/60R20) on my 20's for winter. Didn't figure I'd be towing too much with a foot or two of snow on the ground.

The F-150 is a bit of a bitch to kit up for winter, 'cause you can't find cheap steel 6-lug rims with all the offset Ford puts in, but I got a wicked deal on some OEM 18" rims for summer and I'll keep the winter tires on my 20's.

Don't suppose you need to run two sets of tires down in Georgia...

I appreciate the feedback (and I love my truck too).

Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I just went from one end of the spectrum to the other. I replaced my stock P255/70-17's with LT305/55-20's E load range. I didn't have a choice either abour getting a different load range tire, E was all they had in that size. I was a little worried about the ride and comfort myself with en E tire and all I can say is that I will NEVER drive a P rated tire on a truck again. I didn't realize how soft and squirmy and possibly dangerous they were until I got my new ones. My Toyo's ride great! Yes they are a little stiffer but I feel much more in control and my truck handles so much better. Its not half as bad as you think. My truck feels like truck now.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also went from P(passenger) factory 265/60/18's to a 10 ply E-rated tire. It could be the fact that the roads around me are terrible due to construction and that I haven't replaced my factory shocks, but my truck beats the crap out of me. On the highway, they are as smooth as can be, but on bumpy roads they are terrible.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
SM
Originally Posted by KevinCowtown
Anybody using a 10-ply tire that can advise me on this? Are we talking "teeth-loosening ride" or "barely noticable/ slightly stiffer ride"?
I am using "E" tires...on my '03 Jeep Wranlger Rubicon. That's what came on it from the factory.

You might or might not notice a little stiffer ride, but I don't think you will be talking "teeth-loosening ride." Like a couple of people have said here already, that is if you run a reasonable pressure in them. E rated tires have a max pressure of 80 psi, but for our purposes (F150s or Jeep Wranglers) you don't need to go anywhere close to that pressure. Using my Jeep as an example, Jeep's recomended pressure listed on the door sticker is 33 psi for those tires. Some Rubi owners have gone down to 28-30 psi with no problems; the statement that running them at lower pressures is not safe is just not true.

For an F150 (heavier than my Jeep by a good bit) you might want 35 to 38 psi, or maybe 40 to 45 if heavily loaded. If you run pressures somewhere around there, I'll bet you won't hate the ride. If that is the size you want, I say go for it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
This might be somewhat repetitive of some posts above...

I was in the same predicament - stock tires were 235/70/17 P rated Hankook's. I decided on my upgrade size to be 275/70-18, and as you also found, only available in an E rated tire.

Just made the switch 2 weeks ago.

Put your mind at ease. I was also very apprehensive about the ride, but I have found that I like the ride of the E's much better. No flexing at all in bends etc. Yes, you do feel the cracks/joints in some bad roads some, but I found that I actually like that feel - actually makes me like the way the suspension feels when going over any rough roads.

I started out at 42psi - think I will keep it there for now.

Too bad you can't ride in one of our trucks to feel it -

Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by KevinCowtown
I'm not looking for an E-rated tire. I'm looking for an LT275/70R18 (which I can only find in an E-rated tire).

My question isn't about whether the E-rated tire is beneficial; it's "is an E rated tire so gosh darned rough-riding that I should just get a smaller tire in a C or D rating?"

Be that as it may, I appreciate your input... as well as 302's rebuttle.
Just put on LT275 70 18 Cooper ATR's this weekend. Pondered the same question WAY too long. went from P275 65 18 BFG. Slightly stiffer yes but, worth the extra size IMO. Fills the wells on my leveled screw much better. Added 1" to diameter (1/2" in lift, which, is noticable, believe it or not) Also, seemed to take a little pressure off the upper ball joint that got stressed from the level kit.
Still trying to figure out optimum pressure though. Running at 50 front and rear right now and will try the chalk test to see how that looks. Might bring the rears down to 45.

I say go for it. The wife didn't complain about the ride either, if that is any help.She drives an 03 Jag X Type though, which has low pro tires so, I think my truck STILL rides softer even with the LT's.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 PM
BTW, I do no off roading or towing. just wanted the looks of a bigger tire. I'm happy with what I chose so far even though it's only been a couple of days, no regrets except wondering if I should have went with the white letters instead of the black wall since there is a lot of rubber now

Quick Reply: Do 10-ply "E" rated tires suck, ride-wise, or are they ok?