Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Cant break rear drum loose

I am trying to replace a wheel brake cylinder on the driver side of my 93 f150, and i cant get the drum off. I have had drums stick on me before but ive always been able to get them free. I beat this thing to death with a 2 foot long 4x4 and it still wont budge. I look in my haynes manual and it said to take a cover off the back side of the hub to access to star piece to retract the shoes. In the book it says theres a locking mechanism that locks the star adjuster. It doesnt exist on mine, but the adjuster still wont move. Im pretty sure that the drum is stuck to the axle, i can pull on it and it will move just a little but i notice that the lug nut studs always move with it. I have beat to death and used a bunch of penetrating oil, Any suggestions on what else might work?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by del1650 View Post
I am trying to replace a wheel brake cylinder on the driver side of my 93 f150, and i cant get the drum off. I have had drums stick on me before but ive always been able to get them free. I beat this thing to death with a 2 foot long 4x4 and it still wont budge. I look in my haynes manual and it said to take a cover off the back side of the hub to access to star piece to retract the shoes. In the book it says theres a locking mechanism that locks the star adjuster. It doesnt exist on mine, but the adjuster still wont move. Im pretty sure that the drum is stuck to the axle, i can pull on it and it will move just a little but i notice that the lug nut studs always move with it. I have beat to death and used a bunch of penetrating oil, Any suggestions on what else might work?
i usually clank it with a huge metal mallet till she breaks loose..you can also use a small pry bar and work your way around the back part...and if that don't work I dunno...lol

2006 Ford F150 Super Crew 6.5' Box Wayne Gretzky Edition (80 of 999)

8" of total lift: 6 inch Fabtech lift + 2" AS Spacer, PTM Limited Grill, 22x10 Chrome Mazzi Hulks, 37x13.5x22 Toyo Open Country M/T, JVC KW-NX7000, Hypertech Maxpower Programmer, HID 6000K Fog/Headlights
Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 PM
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
grimace1100 grimace1100
I use a BFH. If that won't work, I put the wheel back on and tighten the lugs only finger tight. Then drive the truck forward about 10 feet then reverse. One of these usually works. Make sure you stay CLEAR of the studs if using a BFH.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F250
ty.barnwell.9 tybarnwell08
heat it with a torch! i normally beat it with a hammer...she will come off!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 0002 Ford Broncos
Are you sure you can't get the star wheel to move? It's what pushes the pads against the drum. You need to loosen that star wheel. You can do it with a screw driver. Get a flash light if needed.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I used a flashlight and tried to move the adjuster with a screwdriver but it wont move. the book shows a locking mechanism but i cant see it anywhere. I used the screwdriver to feel around where the book shows it but its not there.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F250
ty.barnwell.9 tybarnwell08
yea you have to lift up the locking mechanism then turn the starwheel..but you should be able to get the drum off anyway
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM
2003 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Bring out the BFH! I don't know what you have for resources, but if you can, heating it up would probably work best.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I know that if i break out the BFH that its probably gonna destroy the drum, thats why i have done it yet, ive just used a 4x4 and hit it with that. But id say its best to just replace the drum anyways. Hard telling when it was removed last
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 0002 Ford Broncos
Hit the star with a screw driver and hammer.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_screw View Post
I use a BFH. If that won't work, I put the wheel back on and tighten the lugs only finger tight. Then drive the truck forward about 10 feet then reverse. One of these usually works. Make sure you stay CLEAR of the studs if using a BFH.
I actually do this also, but leave a bit more space and swerve left and right, usually takes no time before they break loose. No speeding or nothing, just enough to be rolling, 5 mph or something.

Wait a minute, you said the studs move with it, that can't be good. The axle shaft should not move in and out or wobble any, should be good and solid. Keep at the adjuster star and pry bars, it takes time but they'll come off. I'd be checking the axle/bearing/ or anything making the axle move in ways it shouldn't.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 01-14-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Wait a minute, you said the studs move with it, that can't be good. The axle shaft should not move in and out or wobble any, should be good and solid. Keep at the adjuster star and pry bars, it takes time but they'll come off. I'd be checking the axle/bearing/ or anything making the axle move in ways it shouldn't.
Its not really any amount of movement, Just a small click but i can still notice that the studs move with it.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
2012 Ford F150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to mkosu04
The easiest way to get one off is to use a big gear-puller. We used this on my Dad's car and it popped the rotors right off. (they had been stuck quite tight)

Beating it with a hammer makes it unlikely you can re-use the drum, if it is still good to begin with.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM
2004 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2004 FORD F150
Send a message via AIM to MUD DIGGER
just beat the **** out of it it will come off eventually if you are replaceing it anyway who cares beat that drum off
2004 Super Crew Flomaster, 6in Procomp lift Gryphon 18x9" Procomp Extreme Alloy 1079 325X65R18 TOYO Open Country AT, Crome Sports bar KC lights MP3 CB K&N CAI PROCOMP skid plate Procomp light bar Rhino lined bed Tow Nutz, LED Tailgate Bar, Bug Shield Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, 2 12" Pioneer TS-SW1201S2 Shallow Sub Woofers, Sony CDX-GT630UI HeadUnit 5901 Viper Alarm system Deleted Rear Cats Magnaflo hiflow 2 front cats
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
If you don't have a 3 jaw puller go rent one from your local parts store.. its the easiest way to get it off.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM