Not all F150's have TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
All of the new F150s have TPMS; it's a federal law.
I can tell you 100% that my base model 09 F150 XL has NO TPMS. I just got a set of snowtires put on a month or so ago. Maybe that has changed in the '10 models, but there are still trucks without it.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalamish
I can tell you 100% that my base model 09 F150 XL has NO TPMS. I just got a set of snowtires put on a month or so ago. Maybe that has changed in the '10 models, but there are still trucks without it.
It's a federal law. Yours may be broken or somehow the factory missed it (hard to believe), but it's federal law.

After the Explorer/Firestone rollovers, the Clinton administration published the TREAD Act. This act mandates the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) sold after September 1, 2007.

Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007.

Tread Act TPMS highlight:

2) Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) (Docket Number 2000-8572) –
The TREAD Act mandated that every new car be equipped with a TPMS.
NHTSA published their regulation July 24, 2001 and ITRA and TANA
submitted comments on September 6, 2001. [See ITRA’s comments.
See TANA’s comments.] The organizations were very concerned that the
independent tire dealers are not being given the information they need to
install, service and maintain these TPMSs from the OEMs. The
organizations were also concerned with NHTSA’s proposed definition for
underinflation.

The final rule was published June 5, 2002. Unfortunately NHTSA
proposed that if a vehicle is using a direct system (with sensors in each
tire sending a signal to the dashboard) the TPMS does not have to trigger
until the tire is 25 percent below the recommended cold psi. An indirect
TPMS (that runs off the anti-lock braking system) does not have to
trigger until the tire is 30 percent below the recommended cold psi for
that tire. TIA is strongly opposed to NHTSA’s supposed “safety”
regulation which in effect allows the motoring public to drive on severely
underinflated tires. TIA has supported a petition that NHTSA mandate
reserve inflation pressure in tires to offset the TPMS rule. [See letter to
NHTSA supporting petition.]

Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I just had the same sort of deal happen on my 09 Expedition, I changed wheels and tires, and since I was keeping the OEM wheels and tires, I bought new Sensors on E-bay for about 100 bucks. They are ford oem sensors. The expeditions still use the band type. I put the new 09 F150 18" KR wheels and GY AT/S's on my Expedition and took it for about a 20 min spin around town and it never set a fault. So I thought hey I am good to go. I drove it all over town and to and from work several times over about a week long period, no falt codes. Then today I set out on a 3 hour road trip and about 30 mins into the trip here came the fault codes.

I do not understand this system at all, a lot of good it does if it takes a week and over 100 miles of driving before it lets you know there is a problem, what if I had really had a low tire and it took a week and 100+ miles to tell me about it ????

What is the fix? Is there some way to recalibrate the system to recognize the new sensors at home, or does it have to go back to the dealer for this?

FYI, I had loaded the OEM wheels and tires into the rear cargo area of the Expy this morrning, still mounted and with the OEM sensors still inside them, nothing altered, and it still set the fault today. So the therory that parking next to them may keep the computer happy is false. If it could not pick mine up in the cargo area of the SUV then it won't likely pick them up in the garage setting next to the truck either.

Last edited by cc1999; 01-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
My 06 doesn't have them.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by cc1999
I just had the same sort of deal happen on my 09 Expedition, I changed wheels and tires, and since I was keeping the OEM wheels and tires, I bought new Sensors on E-bay for about 100 bucks. They are ford oem sensors. The expeditions still use the band type. I put the new 09 F150 18" KR wheels and GY AT/S's on my Expedition and took it for about a 20 min spin around town and it never set a fault. So I thought hey I am good to go. I drove it all over town and to and from work several times over about a week long period, no falt codes. Then today I set out on a 3 hour road trip and about 30 mins into the trip here came the fault codes.

I do not understand this system at all, a lot of good it does if it takes a week and over 100 miles of driving before it lets you know there is a problem, what if I had really had a low tire and it took a week and 100+ miles to tell me about it ????

What is the fix? Is there some way to recalibrate the system to recognize the new sensors at home, or does it have to go back to the dealer for this?

FYI, I had loaded the OEM wheels and tires into the rear cargo area of the Expy this morrning, still mounted and with the OEM sensors still inside them, nothing altered, and it still set the fault today. So the therory that parking next to them may keep the computer happy is false. If it could not pick mine up in the cargo area of the SUV then it won't likely pick them up in the garage setting next to the truck either.
the tires need to be moving in order to "wake up" the sensors. therefor putting them in the back of the vehicle will not work. The 09 expy and 09 F150 take 2 different style sensors that operate on different frequencies. So swapping wheels will not work unless you swap sensors as well. Also any time a new sensor is installed it needs to be trained at the pressure located inside the door on the sticker.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
the tires need to be moving in order to "wake up" the sensors. therefor putting them in the back of the vehicle will not work. The 09 expy and 09 F150 take 2 different style sensors that operate on different frequencies. So swapping wheels will not work unless you swap sensors as well. Also any time a new sensor is installed it needs to be trained at the pressure located inside the door on the sticker.
Yep, thats what I bought for these F150 wheels, the Expedition's Vin matched OEM part number for the Band style sensor. Thats the sensors that I have on the F150 wheels.

I was just moving the original wheels to storage today, and at the time the fault code had not set yet, I had just noticed someonelse mentioned that parking next to the OEM wheels would make some sort of difference. I was just pointing out that I think that is faulse because I had them inside the vehichle and it made no difference. It still set the fault at 75mph.

When I did my first test drive and had no faults, I took it on the freeway at speeds sustained up over 70mph for at least 10 miles and turned around and did the same thing coming back home. I just don't see the point in these sensors if I can run that far that fast and never set a fault, what if I had really been running 70 on a flat. Sure I would likely noticed it, because I pay attention to things like handeling and steering inputs, but I know a lot of fokes, mainly the ones these PIA sensors were designed for, would not have noticed.

I found this info on training sensors via serch on this site.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

I believe you will actually need to place the strong magnet directly over the sensor. As in on the tire tread. The band mounted sensors are located 180 degrees from the valve stem.
I just tried this procedure, and I can get mine into learn mode. I do have a magnet strong enough to stick to the tread, so I would hope that would be strong enough to trigger the sensor. But the system is not picking it up. ????

Anone have any idea's or have experence with the training these band style sensors. I ran the magnet all around the tire, just in case the ford tech that installed the new sensors on the wheels was not aware of the 180 degree from the valve stem rule mentioned in the instructions.

Last edited by cc1999; 01-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep, thats what I bought for these F150 wheels, the Expedition's Vin matched OEM part number for the Band style sensor. Thats the sensors that I have on the F150 wheels.

I was just moving the original wheels to storage today, and at the time the fault code had not set yet, I had just noticed someonelse mentioned that parking next to the OEM wheels would make some sort of difference. I was just pointing out that I think that is faulse because I had them inside the vehichle and it made no difference. It still set the fault at 75mph.

When I did my first test drive and had no faults, I took it on the freeway at speeds sustained up over 70mph for at least 10 miles and turned around and did the same thing coming back home. I just don't see the point in these sensors if I can run that far that fast and never set a fault, what if I had really been running 70 on a flat. Sure I would likely noticed it, because I pay attention to things like handeling and steering inputs, but I know a lot of fokes, mainly the ones these PIA sensors were designed for, would not have noticed.

I found this info on training sensors via serch on this site.

I just tried this procedure, and I can get mine into learn mode. I do have a magnet strong enough to stick to the tread, so I would hope that would be strong enough to trigger the sensor. But the system is not picking it up. ????

Anone have any idea's or have experence with the training these band style sensors. I ran the magnet all around the tire, just in case the ford tech that installed the new sensors on the wheels was not aware of the 180 degree from the valve stem rule mentioned in the instructions.
ok there is a few things wrong with what your saying. the 09F150 DOES NOT take band style sensors like your expedition and they will not work. You need the new style vavle stem mounted sensors for an F150. Also they are not trained with a magnet you need a TPMS training tool. Its more like an electronic remote.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I guess I was not clear on something. I Own a 09 Expedition, I DO NOT OWN an F150, the Expedtion still uses the band style sensors, that is according to the vin on my expedition anyway.

I bought a set of 09 F150 takeoff KR wheels without any sensors, and then I bought some new GoodYear AT/S tires, along with some new band style sensors off e-bay that the expedition calls for by part number. I was told the expedition would not work with the stem type sensors, so I had the band style sensors installed on the F150 rims.

Is the learing tool available to the public for purchase, how much do they typically caost?

Last edited by cc1999; 01-26-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM
I guess I was not clear on something. I Own a 09 Expedition, I DO NOT OWN an F150, the Expedtion still uses the band style sensors, that is according to the vin on my expedition anyway.

I bought a set of 09 F150 takeoff KR WHEELS and some new GoodYear AT/S tires, along with some new band style sensors that the expedition calls for. I was told the expedition would not work with the stem type sensors, so I had the band style sensors installed on the F150 rims.

Is the learing tool available to the public for purchase, how much do they typically caost?
ok that makes more sence. this is what you need http://cgi.ebay.ca/FORD-OEM-TIRE-PRE...item45efc21a0a they can also be purchased at the dealer.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Cool, thanks for the link .

That is cheaper then I thought they would be, so how does it work? Do you just put the truck in learn mode and walk around it hitting that button at each tire ?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Cool, that is cheaper then I thought they would be, so how does it work? Do you just put the truck in learn mode and walk around it hitting that button at each tire ?
if installed correctly your band sensors should be strait across(180degrees) from your valve stem. Put your truck into learn mode and aim at that spot(hold the remote right against the tire) in this pattern LF,RF,RR,LR after each tire it will honk indicating that tire is trained.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 AM
OK, thanks.

I am going to get one of those learing tools for 35 bucks . That way I can swap tire and rims when ever I feel like it without having to make an appointment to take the truck into the dealer.

My dealer said they would do it for free, but they wanted me to make an appointmnet, and drop off the vehichle for what could not take more then 2 mins. It is worth the 30 or 40 bucks not to have to hassle with all that running around dropping it off and picking it up BS.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 AM
OK, thanks.

I am going to get one of those learing tools for 35 bucks . That way I can swap tire and rims when ever I feel like it without having to make an appointment to take the truck into the dealer.

My dealer said they would do it for free, but they wanted me to make an appointmnet, and drop off the vehichle for what could not take more then 2 mins. It is worth the 30 or 40 bucks not to have to hassle with all that running around dropping it off and picking it up BS.
very true. it really takes about 2 min.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by mwmod97
Just curious if all new F150s are supposed to have Tire pressure sensors? I just put my aftermarket wheels and tires on my 2010 fx4 that finally came in last week, and the Tire pressure light has not come on after I swapped. I figured maybe after I drove it, but put 7.5 miles on it and light never came on.
Funny you mention that. I was wondering the same thing. I do have sensors in my wheels 100%. But I am not sure if the system us even active. I had a nail in one of my tires over the summer that was leaking air. I check tire pressure one day and it was down to 10psi. There was no warning light, no idiot dinger nothing. I have swapped wheels and tires sever times on my 09 so far and have not had to train the system either.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned the TPMS system sucks, I put winter tires on a set of 05 FX4 rims for my winter tire setup and didn't include the TPMS sensor (I would live with the light for the 4 months I have my studded tires on), anyways I had to drive for about 100 kms before the truck even figured out that there were no sensors in the truck anymore. I can't imagine its going to respond very fast if I do end up driving over a nail and start loosing air. Not sure if it's true or not but I've heard the tire pressure has to be - 20% from you set pressure to set your light off. Just because your truck has TPMS doens't mean you should check you tire pressure regularly. Proper inflation is safer and will help you out with fuel economy and tire wear.

Quick Reply: Not all F150's have TPMS?