Would you buy snow tires or all terrain tires for winter highway driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy snow tires or all terrain tires for winter highway driving?

My crappy company transfered me to a different city for work and I refuse to move. Its a 90 mile drive one way to work and with winter coming up I really need a good snow/ice tire for the freeway. My truck is an 04 fx4 scab that I also take off road when i'm hunting, but not very often at all, so the freeway use is more important. I was looking at the General Grabber at2 for the all terrain and the firestone winterforce or bridgestone blizzak for winter tires. I am on a budget here which is why I listed those tires. for the all terrain the generals are inexpensive and get pretty good reviews, same with the two winter tires as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
If it were me, I'd go get a set of BFG AT KO's and call it a day. They're not a budget friendly tire, but they will last forever and are a good all season\all terrain tire.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the GoodYear silent armor tires, a set of 4 ran me around $850, and they are severe weather rated just like the BFGs.

The BFGs are an excellent tire, and are probably a little better in the snow then the GYs, but like Chris pointed out, they're pricey.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you have a 4x4 I would get either one of the tires mentioned already. I run my Silent Armors year round and they do very well in the snow.

If you had a two wheel drive I would go for the snow tires as they will provide a little more traction on ice.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Unless your driving on a snow/ice covered, untreated, roadways all the time then don't waste your time with snow tires. Every highway I ever seen is plowed right down to the asphalt, if its not, it will be shortly. A good All terrain is your best friend. The BFG's will last you forever and will do great in the bad weather and off road.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM
from minnesota drive on ice, snow 5-6 months out of the year, after spending half the winter last year driving in 4x4 all day every day (with tires comparable to stockers) i decided it was time for new tires. i put on some BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's and never used 4x4 the rest of the winter and believe me the conditions were just as bad if not worse than the first half of winter. I was shocked. anyways thats my recommendation they work great all year too don't howl/drone (if that matters to you).

Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Tires

It's been years since I've had a 4x4, except for 1 vehicle they've all been 4x2's. Where possible I've had snow tires along with LS differentials and I've done very well. Now I'm not an offroader and when the weather is 'really' bad, I stay inside otherwise I've dealt with alot of winter driving conditions and always gotten through. This really relates if you're planning on using mainly 2wd, if you plan to use mainly 4x4, disregard this.

Just bought a 07 XLT 4x2 and got a pair of winter M&S tires mounted on rims last weekend, getting it ready for winter. Same basic setup I have for my 97 and comparable to what I've done with virtually all of my cars over the years.

I'm currently from Minnesota, but have lived or spent extended periods of time in these states and dealt with winter driving and snow: Ia, Ill, Mo, Mt, Wi, Wa and a few more, so I"ve spent more than a few years with winter driving, ice and snow. I happen to like snow tires, it's a small price to pay for the piece of mind during the winter months.

Paul

Quick Reply: Would you buy snow tires or all terrain tires for winter highway driving?