Brakes not releasing!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes not releasing!

Hey guys, I have a 2000 F150 4X4 ext. cab and my brakes are locking up in the front and not fully releasing. I had new calipers and flex lines put in at the Ford dealer 4 months ago due to my sliders seizing after the truck sat for 2 weeks. The problem started a week ago with the new snow I noticed them locking up under slight pressure. A friend and I jacked up the truck yesterday and noticed the wheels had alot of resistance to turning them. He told me the pads were rubbing and not fully releasing . So we decided that I needed new calipers. I told him I had noticed my brake fluid slowly going down a little so before he left he tried pushing hard on the brakes to see if there was a brake line leaking anywhere but I could not see anything as the truck was just oiled recently. So I did a few other small things to the truck while it was in the shop. When I went to leave I noticed a small puddle of brake fluid inside the drivers side front wheel. I could not for the life of me find where it was leaking from. My question is before I spend good money on new calipers and pads(that are only 4 months old), could a brake line leak cause the brakes to not fully release?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had someone do the work for you - take it back. It could be a few things. I am NOT a mechanic but have had calipers stick. Once it was a bad line. You can't let these things hand with the caliper attached. If its bad the fluid flows to the caliper but it won't release easily. It could just be a bad caliper but it would be unusual for both to be bad. Is that the case?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
The ford dealer should warranty their work for more than 4 months. Go back to the dealer.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I tried today to get the brake lines to leak but they wouldn't. I cleaned off all the front lines as best as I could and then got someone to pump the brakes and hold them down hard , but no leaks and my fluid has not dropped since Sat. The brakes are still a little grabby so I am unsure of what to do next. On a 4X4 front wheel, should the wheel be able to spin easily even though it is turning the front half axle?? Or should there be some resistance??

Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
The ford dealer should warranty their work for more than 4 months. Go back to the dealer.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I had the same problem with my 1997 F150, after replacing the rotors, calipers, pads, brake booster, and master cylinder my brakes were still grabbing and not releasing. It would change in weather, if it was warm they felt almost sticky. I finally came to the conclusion that it was the Brake Hoses that came off brake calipers. I guess they corrode inside of the short run of hose that goes off the brake lines to the caliper. When I replaced them, that solved it, so $40.00 for two hoses solved the problem. I would check in to them. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Jcd. That might be the problem but my flex hoses are only 4 months old. I have heard of them collapsing internally when the brake fluid is trying to return to let off the pressure. This problem started when the first blast of cold weather hit, so that could be part of it too. Now the brakes are working good most of the time and I'm not losing any more brake fluid. I do not want to take it back to the dealer because I think they will probably find a way to work on the brakes and charge me more money. And I'm sure they won't come clean about the work that was done 4 months ago and any "warranty". I will just not give them any more of my business and money. I just bought a "Chilton's" shop manual and plan on getting my hands dirty and learning as I go. I have learned alot on here from you guys!! Thanks.Chris.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes not releasing!