Too much brake fluid?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much brake fluid?

Ok, about 2 months ago, i thought i was a little low on brake fluid, so i added some. Didn't think at the time, maybe because my pads were low, the piston was pushed out further. Yesterday, i replace the front pads with shiny new ones, and my fluid level is past the max. Should i remove some of the fluid to put it back to the correct level? Will it harm much if i leave it? What would Obama do??

Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
The big concern is that its cold right now... and when it gets warm in the summer (or from the engine on long trips) the brake fluid will expand some and possibly overflow. Thats why the air space is designed into the reservoir.

To be safe, I'd siphon some of the fluid off. If the brake fluid does spill over it will eat up any paint or stickers it drips on.

But as far as safety... no, its not a safety issue... unless maybe it drips on a connector and shorts it out... but thats a long shot.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What would Obama do??
He'd say you have more then your share, so you MUST give up a portion of your extra brake fluid to those that have low brake fluid.....

Mitch

Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Right.. spread my wealth of brake fluid to the others less fortunate.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Use the Bleeder Screws

Luke Duke,
You should attach a small hose to the bleeder screw and crack them open before pushing the piston back into the caliper. Why? As brake fluid ages it does go bad...contamination and high temps break down the fluid. This is why it turns dark. Dark is not a good color for brake fluid. Don't pump all that garbage back into the anti-lock/master cyl. Close the bleeder after compressing the piston. Finish the brake job and top off with fresh new fluid. Prefferably from a bottle that has not been open for 5 yrs. Then get Bo to help bleed the brakes properly.

David

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too much brake fluid?