Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Too much brake fluid?

Ok, about 2 months ago, i thought i was a little low on brake fluid, so i added some. Didn't think at the time, maybe because my pads were low, the piston was pushed out further. Yesterday, i replace the front pads with shiny new ones, and my fluid level is past the max. Should i remove some of the fluid to put it back to the correct level? Will it harm much if i leave it? What would Obama do??
Mods: Airaid Intake, 10" ID10 V.3 D4 in box under rear seat, Alpine 9856 stereo, Alpine MRD-300 Sub Amp, 6 1/2" Infinity front speakers, Harley Davidson grille, Lightning headlights and corners, Belltech 2" drop shackles
Future Mods: Magnaflow si/do exhaust, custom tuning from PHP, Cowl Hood
My Gallery
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
2012 Ford F150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to mkosu04
The big concern is that its cold right now... and when it gets warm in the summer (or from the engine on long trips) the brake fluid will expand some and possibly overflow. Thats why the air space is designed into the reservoir.

To be safe, I'd siphon some of the fluid off. If the brake fluid does spill over it will eat up any paint or stickers it drips on.

But as far as safety... no, its not a safety issue... unless maybe it drips on a connector and shorts it out... but thats a long shot.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 AM
2013 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Quote:
What would Obama do??
He'd say you have more then your share, so you MUST give up a portion of your extra brake fluid to those that have low brake fluid.....

Mitch
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Right.. spread my wealth of brake fluid to the others less fortunate.
Mods: Airaid Intake, 10" ID10 V.3 D4 in box under rear seat, Alpine 9856 stereo, Alpine MRD-300 Sub Amp, 6 1/2" Infinity front speakers, Harley Davidson grille, Lightning headlights and corners, Belltech 2" drop shackles
Future Mods: Magnaflow si/do exhaust, custom tuning from PHP, Cowl Hood
My Gallery
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Use the Bleeder Screws

Luke Duke,
You should attach a small hose to the bleeder screw and crack them open before pushing the piston back into the caliper. Why? As brake fluid ages it does go bad...contamination and high temps break down the fluid. This is why it turns dark. Dark is not a good color for brake fluid. Don't pump all that garbage back into the anti-lock/master cyl. Close the bleeder after compressing the piston. Finish the brake job and top off with fresh new fluid. Prefferably from a bottle that has not been open for 5 yrs. Then get Bo to help bleed the brakes properly.

David
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM