Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off...

So a couple days ago I engaged my parking brake. I released it, but the light on my dash wont shut off. anyone have any ideas as so why? The truck seems to be moving freely so Im pretty sure the brake isnt engaged anymore...any ideas?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
try pulling up on the parking brake pedal while pulling the release. Sometimes the pedal doesn't fully return on its own.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Check your brake fluid level...
The Light pulls double duty.

I am guessing you used the brake because you were on a hill either up or down, no?

Once low brake fluid is indicated due to truck tilt, the Light stays lit after release, doing it's double duty as parking brake indicator and overall brake warning.

Last edited by Raoul; 10-28-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried re-engaging the parking brake yet? Then when you release it pull it back.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I thought my post above was one of my best 'detective replies'.
Which is amazing to me and indicates the dope I've been on the last month is wearing off.

Thanks for making me work the gears!
Give us some feedback on this.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Check your brake fluid level...
The Light pulls double duty.

I am guessing you used the brake because you were on a hill either up or down, no?

Once low brake fluid is indicated due to truck tilt, the Light stays lit after release, doing it's double duty as parking brake indicator and overall brake warning.
Went out today and checked my brake fluid. It was pretty low, so I went out and got some and filled it up. Brake light is still on. How long does it take to reset itself?

I have also now developed a god awful metalic scratching noise coming from both my front wheels. It sounds like when your brake pads are getting low and the lil clip starts to scratch, but its when im braking and when im driving. Did I jack my brakes up by going too long with low brake fluid?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I'm back on pain killers and don't know my Last name.

Somebody will help you shortly, at least we got the diagnosis under the hood.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
I'm back on pain killers and don't know my Last name.

Somebody will help you shortly, at least we got the diagnosis under the hood.
haha well once this next round wears off, be sure to post any ideas you might have. You seem to know your chit...

Hows the recovery coming?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 AM
One thing you may not think to check is that there is a small rubber bumper on the pedal arm that presses against a sensor or something when the pedal is fully released. If this bumper is missing it will not press against the sensor to tell the truck the Ebrake is fully released. Happened to me and the only reason I checked was becasue I happened to see the bumper fall off when I released the ebrake.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Just checked it again today and the brake light went off. Must have had something to do with the fluid needing time to go through the system. thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Went out today and checked my brake fluid. It was pretty low, so I went out and got some and filled it up. Brake light is still on. How long does it take to reset itself?

I have also now developed a god awful metalic scratching noise coming from both my front wheels. It sounds like when your brake pads are getting low and the lil clip starts to scratch, but its when im braking and when im driving. Did I jack my brakes up by going too long with low brake fluid?
no, you didn't trash your brakes by having low brake fluid... you have low brake fluid because your brakes are trashed....

As you wear the pads, there is more fluid behind the pistons. That is why your fluid is low. If your brake light is on due to wear, then your pads are well past the point of needing to be replaced. This is reinforced by your description that there is metallic noise from your brakes.

Take your truck in ASAP! Chances are you have worn through your brake pads and are throwing sparks.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:24 PM
JHL
I agree! I never top off my brake fluid... its a sealed system, when your fluid is low that indicates pad/caliper/drum wear... or you have a leak!

I hate taking my truck in for oil changes because they always add brake fluid! When my resevoir reads low its time for new pads!

As for the brake light; it can go on for either a stuck parking brake pedal or low fluid! Mine is always the pedal... I simply apply the parking brake again and release it... cures light on dash EVERY time for me!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Parking Brake Light will not go out

I have a 2004 F150 with 154K miles. Red parking light was stuck on. ABS light was not on...just the red parking light. My light was stuck on due to the float in the master cylinder being stuck. When you remove the cap to the master cylinder the float is about the size of a quarter and made of white plastic.

My brake fluid was very dirty--looked black. I flushed the master cylinder with brake fluid by drawing out the dirty fluid with a large syringe and added new fluid. Repeated a second time. Added fluid up to the max line. The fluid is clear so I could see that the float was stuck. Used a screw driver to push the float up and down. When I did I saw more black brake fluid. Kept pushing the float up and down until it moved freely and no more black fluid was coming from the float area. Light went off. All is working fine.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Dude and forgive my language but you're a ********** genius I did exactly what you said and instantly the brake light went out thank you much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off...