Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
Parking Brake Light Wont Shut Off...

So a couple days ago I engaged my parking brake. I released it, but the light on my dash wont shut off. anyone have any ideas as so why? The truck seems to be moving freely so Im pretty sure the brake isnt engaged anymore...any ideas?

- 285/70/17 BFG ATKO - AVIC X910BT - Infinity Kappa - Infinity 475A - Magnaflow SIDO -
- Magnaflow Hiflow's - Volant CAI - Lightning Heads - LED Corners - Security by Viper -

Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
2012 Ford F150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to mkosu04
try pulling up on the parking brake pedal while pulling the release. Sometimes the pedal doesn't fully return on its own.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Goat Herder Extraordinaire
1999 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Check your brake fluid level...
The Light pulls double duty.

I am guessing you used the brake because you were on a hill either up or down, no?

Once low brake fluid is indicated due to truck tilt, the Light stays lit after release, doing it's double duty as parking brake indicator and overall brake warning.

Last edited by Raoul; 10-28-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
2007 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Have you tried re-engaging the parking brake yet? Then when you release it pull it back.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
1999 Ford F-150

I thought my post above was one of my best 'detective replies'.
Which is amazing to me and indicates the dope I've been on the last month is wearing off.

Thanks for making me work the gears!
Give us some feedback on this.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul View Post
Check your brake fluid level...
The Light pulls double duty.

I am guessing you used the brake because you were on a hill either up or down, no?

Once low brake fluid is indicated due to truck tilt, the Light stays lit after release, doing it's double duty as parking brake indicator and overall brake warning.
Went out today and checked my brake fluid. It was pretty low, so I went out and got some and filled it up. Brake light is still on. How long does it take to reset itself?

I have also now developed a god awful metalic scratching noise coming from both my front wheels. It sounds like when your brake pads are getting low and the lil clip starts to scratch, but its when im braking and when im driving. Did I jack my brakes up by going too long with low brake fluid?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
1999 Ford F-150

I'm back on pain killers and don't know my Last name.

Somebody will help you shortly, at least we got the diagnosis under the hood.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul View Post
I'm back on pain killers and don't know my Last name.

Somebody will help you shortly, at least we got the diagnosis under the hood.
haha well once this next round wears off, be sure to post any ideas you might have. You seem to know your chit...

Hows the recovery coming?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 AM
1997 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
One thing you may not think to check is that there is a small rubber bumper on the pedal arm that presses against a sensor or something when the pedal is fully released. If this bumper is missing it will not press against the sensor to tell the truck the Ebrake is fully released. Happened to me and the only reason I checked was becasue I happened to see the bumper fall off when I released the ebrake.
97 XL 4.2L V6 Reg Cab Std Box 4r70w 3.73 TruTrac LS, General Grabber UHP 265/70R16s, Line-x spray-in bedliner, Truxedo Deuce tonneau, 20% tint, AF1 CAI, ASP UDP, Magnaflow catback SIDO, Magnaflow Hiflow Cats, Port & Polish 1/2 shaft TB, Troyer tuned.
Whaddya mean I don't pay my bills??
Whyddya think I'm broke!!

163.17 rwhp 231.59 rwtq (94 tune)
16.9060s@80.39mph
Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Just checked it again today and the brake light went off. Must have had something to do with the fluid needing time to go through the system. thanks for the help guys.

- 285/70/17 BFG ATKO - AVIC X910BT - Infinity Kappa - Infinity 475A - Magnaflow SIDO -
- Magnaflow Hiflow's - Volant CAI - Lightning Heads - LED Corners - Security by Viper -

Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
2012 Ford F150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to mkosu04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188 View Post
Went out today and checked my brake fluid. It was pretty low, so I went out and got some and filled it up. Brake light is still on. How long does it take to reset itself?

I have also now developed a god awful metalic scratching noise coming from both my front wheels. It sounds like when your brake pads are getting low and the lil clip starts to scratch, but its when im braking and when im driving. Did I jack my brakes up by going too long with low brake fluid?
no, you didn't trash your brakes by having low brake fluid... you have low brake fluid because your brakes are trashed....

As you wear the pads, there is more fluid behind the pistons. That is why your fluid is low. If your brake light is on due to wear, then your pads are well past the point of needing to be replaced. This is reinforced by your description that there is metallic noise from your brakes.

Take your truck in ASAP! Chances are you have worn through your brake pads and are throwing sparks.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:24 PM
1998 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150 4x4
I agree! I never top off my brake fluid... its a sealed system, when your fluid is low that indicates pad/caliper/drum wear... or you have a leak!

I hate taking my truck in for oil changes because they always add brake fluid! When my resevoir reads low its time for new pads!

As for the brake light; it can go on for either a stuck parking brake pedal or low fluid! Mine is always the pedal... I simply apply the parking brake again and release it... cures light on dash EVERY time for me!
Willow Green interior, Superchip, K&N FIPK, Accufab custom ported throttle body, Custom 3" aluminum catback exhaust with MagnaFlow muffler, MSD High output coils, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 285/75/16's on Eagle Alloy 5 spoke 16x8 rims, Kenwood DDX 7015 DVD, Arc Audio KS300.4 Amp, MMATS Pro 6.5" separates up front, Image Dynamics ID8D4 8" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer, Alarm, and other goodies.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Parking Brake Light will not go out

I have a 2004 F150 with 154K miles. Red parking light was stuck on. ABS light was not on...just the red parking light. My light was stuck on due to the float in the master cylinder being stuck. When you remove the cap to the master cylinder the float is about the size of a quarter and made of white plastic.

My brake fluid was very dirty--looked black. I flushed the master cylinder with brake fluid by drawing out the dirty fluid with a large syringe and added new fluid. Repeated a second time. Added fluid up to the max line. The fluid is clear so I could see that the float was stuck. Used a screw driver to push the float up and down. When I did I saw more black brake fluid. Kept pushing the float up and down until it moved freely and no more black fluid was coming from the float area. Light went off. All is working fine.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM