Blew a brake line, repair cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew a brake line, repair cost?

Today while out running erends I blew a brake line. Large puddle of fluid dripping from the frame rail on the driver side between the cab and bed. I am not a mechanic, so wouldn't try and repair myself. Question is how much $ should I expect to hear quoted by the local Ford delaer?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 AM
it depends... is it a flex line or the hard line? Flex lines should be fairly cheap and easy to replace. If it is the hard line that attaches to the frame rail then it would be more expensive... it takes more labor to get that line out and replaced.

Based on your description of the location, I'm assuming you blew the hard line. If it were the flex line then it would be leaking at the wheel.

Something like this is fairly straight-forward. You might want to check with some smaller brake shops and compare prices if cost is really important.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford always charges out the ***, find someone local who is competent to do the job.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Not as bad as I feared

Solid section of the brakeline rusted through. Many of the raods around here are treated with the calcium chloride salt brine in the winter. It just eats up vehicles! Local dealer replaced the brakeline section, drained and refilled brake fluid and checked all the other brakelines for $175 out the door. I'm happy with that!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Glad to hear it worked out!

Quick Reply: Blew a brake line, repair cost?