brakes pulsating please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes pulsating please help

I have searched this forum for others with the same problem but i have had no luck. I have a 2000 f150 4x4 V6. When i press the brakes, i feel a pulsing in the pedal and hear a faint clicking near the dash. Also, the ABS light came on once since this has been happening. I thought it was because i needed new pads because they were shot. But, I have replaced the pads, resurfaced the rotors and everything looks operational, and there was nothing wrong with the calipers. When i pushed the calipers back to insert the pads, the brake resevoir filled up. Before i road tested it, i pumped the brake pedal several times before i started the engine and after. But i still feel the pulsing and clicking after road testing. Also, the brake fluid in the resevior didnt go down yet. I checked all of the small fuses. I thought it could be some type if relay that went bad. How do i check the relays? I dont have an owners manual. Sorry for the long post and thanks.....

Old 05-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by elite
I have searched this forum for others with the same problem but i have had no luck. I have a 2000 f150 4x4 V6. When i press the brakes, i feel a pulsing in the pedal and hear a faint clicking near the dash. Also, the ABS light came on once since this has been happening. I thought it was because i needed new pads because they were shot. But, I have replaced the pads, resurfaced the rotors and everything looks operational, and there was nothing wrong with the calipers. When i pushed the calipers back to insert the pads, the brake resevoir filled up. Before i road tested it, i pumped the brake pedal several times before i started the engine and after. But i still feel the pulsing and clicking after road testing. Also, the brake fluid in the resevior didnt go down yet. I checked all of the small fuses. I thought it could be some type if relay that went bad. How do i check the relays? I dont have an owners manual. Sorry for the long post and thanks.....
It was not a long post, it was detailed

Details are what the guys need to help you. Otherwise, I would have posted that you need to resurface the rotors. With rotors somewhat ruled out, it has to be something else. Duh! (Talking to myself) Are you sure the rotors were turned?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I would say that you blew out the seals on the master resevoir,by sending the brake fluid back to it from the wrong side.The bleeder valve needed to be opened then you pushed the pads in.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Is there a difference in turning the rotors and resurfacing the rotors? The brakes have only been doing this for about a week. I have had warped rotors before and thats not it. Also, I dont have any wires down near my hub and brake assemblies. Does that mean i dont have ABS?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Suspended
Is there a difference in turning the rotors and resurfacing the rotors? The brakes have only been doing this for about a week. I have had warped rotors before and thats not it. Also, I dont have any wires down near my hub and brake assemblies. Does that mean i dont have ABS?
I think that it is the same thing.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by WildmanNP
I would say that you blew out the seals on the master resevoir,by sending the brake fluid back to it from the wrong side.The bleeder valve needed to be opened then you pushed the pads in.
NOPE
what he did is just fine. One of the functions of the reservoir is to account for the brake fluid required as the pads wear. So when you push the calipers back to install the new pads the fluid travels back to the reservoir. The master cylinders are designed to handle this.

Sounds to me like something to do with the ABS. The "clicking" noise is probably the ABS kicking in and that is what makes the pedal pulse. You probably have a speed sensor that went bad. Take it to a shop/auto store and have them check the codes.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. This problem has just started and hasnt been going on over a period of time. I think i have narrowed this down to an ABS issue. I just cant figure out if i actually HAVE ABS on my truck. I am going to have the codes pulled asap. Were exactly where are the ABS sensors and how do i tell if they are bad?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where you live, but when it snows (sometimes when it rains) and you put on the brake does the pedal push back? Also if your ABS light went on thats a good sign you have ABS

Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I live in FLorida and it hasnt rained here in a while...but no, it doesnt seem to push back. Just vibrates or pulses in the pedal. this problem just started also.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. This problem has just started and hasnt been going on over a period of time. I think i have narrowed this down to an ABS issue. I just cant figure out if i actually HAVE ABS on my truck. I am going to have the codes pulled asap. Were exactly where are the ABS sensors and how do i tell if they are bad?
The ABS sensor location depends on the truck. Some have one sensor on the rear axle, others have sensors on the hubs of both rear wheels. I think all the trucks have sensors on both of the front hubs.

To figure out if you have ABS - follow the brake lines from the master cylinder and see where they go. If they go through a box-like module that looks kinda like this

then you have ABS.

If they go straight to the wheels, you don't have ABS.

As far as whether the sensors are bad - you can't necesarily tell by looking at them. If one is bad it should have stored a code (when you saw the light come on awhile back)

good luck

Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have at a minimum, a rear ABS system. I don't think Ford has delivered an F150 without rear ABS since the mid 90s.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Suspended
The ABS system has to have a fuse, why not pull that fuse and remove ABS from the equation and see of the problem persist

Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
The ABS system has to have a fuse, why not pull that fuse and remove ABS from the equation and see of the problem persist
+1

Sounds like an ABS issue to me.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
brakes

I have replaced the rear sensor and checked for an ABS module. I dont have an ABS module near the brake booster under the hood. I cant think of anything else other than a fuse or relay. Any other ideas? How do i know if i have a sticking caliper? I dont have an owners manual to show the layout of the fuses. Does anyone know where i could find a fuse and relay diagram? No codes stored when i had the codes pulled at Advance Auto parts.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can download an owners manual at www.motorcraftservice.com, in the owners manual section. PDF format and it is free.

Quick Reply: brakes pulsating please help