Strange ABS Problem and Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange ABS Problem and Need Help

Hi all,

So I took my truck for inspection. They failed it because the ABS light is on. I should have just pulled the bulb, because they never would have checked it anyway.

Problem: My ABS light has been on for sometime and the brakes work well. The inspection guys told me it was either the pump or a short. So over the last couple weeks (yeah, i have a job), I tried finding the problems. I even bought the ABS Scanner and got the C1096. I have checked the wires and they look to be in good condition, replaced the rear differential sensor, bled the brakes, pulled the stereo out and check wires behind the dash.

Now, the other day I was stopped in traffic and the Air Bag light started flashing. I thought the key was stuck in the start position. I restarted the truck with my foot on the brake, and guess what? The ABS Light stayed off. As soon as I released the brake (about an inch or so before it tops out) it came back on. This afternoon I replaced the switch on the pedal, and it has the same effect. The light stays on after I release the brake and does not go off while driving. Oh yeah the Airbag light is not flashing, something weird I guess.

So, If I start the truck with my foot on the brake, the ABS lights up, goes off as it should but then once I release the brake it comes on and stays on.

I called Ford and the guy said it's probably something electrical and specific to the ABS, not the hydraulics. They also said they can diagnose it for $97.50, and they would throw in the estimate to repair the problem

Any ideas would be great.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I had the same problem with a 2000 model actually this past summer . Mine was a 10.00 switch on the rear difrential . I''l try to find the thread . all the abs light being on means is that you don't have abs when the lights on you still have brakes but no abs feature . Meaning your brakes will lock up an slide .

Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Have you replaced your rotors lately. When you dont have the ABS Rotors the ABS Light will come on because if you look at the totor there is a sprocket type thing in the center. Not sure if thats it, let me kno if that helped?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Sandstone,

Thanks for the link. Unfornately the info is of little use. I have already replaced the Rear sensor. I am going to disconnect the EHCU and the pump and put a meter to it.

I am pretty sure it is something electrical, so I will put a meter to the motor, and EHCU. Plus I will probably re check all the wiring. Maybe I missed something.

If that don't work, I may have to shell out to the dealer.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Strange ABS Problem and Need Help