6 lug --> 5 lug conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 lug --> 5 lug conversion?

Two questions.

1. Can I convert my 6 lug Screw to 5 lugs? Reason is... I have Coddington Smoothie 2's, 20x10, 6.25" backspacing for the rear. Tire size is: 305/50/20. For the front I have 20x8.5, 5.25" backspacing. Tire size is: 285/50/20. I purchased these for major mullah's and don't want to give them up.

2. Will these wheels even fit or should I scrap the whole idea?

Many thanks.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Couple ways to go after this, wheel adapters would work - they aren't the strongest answer and if you work your truck hard, they could fail. The other would be to have a machine shop redrill the pattern. Would be as strong as 5 lugs would be. Obviously you need to pull axles and hubs.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Bryndon,
Thanks for the quick reply. The tire/wheel/bs setup was manufactured to clear a chevy's wheel well. The mfg screwed up and sent me 5 lug wheels for Ford instead! Today I own a Ford so I'm hoping it works out.

I would consider redrilling the hubs. My concern now is that this wheel/tire combo will fit under the fenders and not stick out. I suppose I need to get my hands dirty and pull the stock wheels off, unless someone knows right off the bat whether I'm wasting my time or not?

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Backspacing look to be well within what guys are doing on our trucks. Worst case (and I doubt it) is that you'd need a 1/2" spacer out back.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I forgot to mention that my truck is stock XLT 4.6 Screw, not lifted or leveled.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Wandell will probably jump in, but I doubt that a 305 out back is any issue. What year?

Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a 2006 Screw XLT 4.6

Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a bolt pattern adaptor would push the wheels out far enough to look bad and cause fitment issues.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
might as well ditch the wheels. adapters are your best bet if you "HAVE TO HAVE" these wheels. i do not recommend at all redrilling the lug pattern. this is going to weaken the wheel and you may see many problems if you do this.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by 56chevy00f150
might as well ditch the wheels. adapters are your best bet if you "HAVE TO HAVE" these wheels. i do not recommend at all redrilling the lug pattern. this is going to weaken the wheel and you may see many problems if you do this.
Hmmm, how is the structural integrity of the wheel affected if I am drilling the hubs? I don't like to get dirt under my nails but I want to be at least a bit more educated on this before making any decisions. It goes without saying that I do however, appreciate all comments.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by hawaiian_triton
Hmmm, how is the structural integrity of the wheel affected if I am drilling the hubs? I don't like to get dirt under my nails but I want to be at least a bit more educated on this before making any decisions. It goes without saying that I do however, appreciate all comments.

Thanks again.
just think, if you do not have these holes drilled exactly from the center of the wheel, you are going to have some wobble issues. i am not saying it is impossible or it cannot be done. i say go for it and good luck

as far as the strenth of the wheel, this should be somewhat self explanatory

Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok maybe I'm a little confused here, so please correct me. You are talking about drilling out the holes in the rims to match that of the 6-lug hubs, yes? I see how this could be problematic, and agree with you whole heartedly. Though this is not what my question was.

I am however, considering whether I should drill the HUBS to convert my existing 6-lug to the older 5-lug, thus matching the rims. Do you see any problems in this type of conversion?

Thanks for your response.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by hawaiian_triton
Ok maybe I'm a little confused here, so please correct me. You are talking about drilling out the holes in the rims to match that of the 6-lug hubs, yes? I see how this could be problematic, and agree with you whole heartedly. Though this is not what my question was.

I am however, considering whether I should drill the HUBS to convert my existing 6-lug to the older 5-lug, thus matching the rims. Do you see any problems in this type of conversion?

Thanks for your response.

sorry for misreading what you meant earlier. i am not familiar with anyone that has drilled the hubs to match the wheels. maybe someone else on here has experienced with it

Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Not a problem, and I do appreciate your comments nevertheless. Hope someone sees this thread and can give their two cents as well. Or maybe I just gotta get off my butt and get my hands dirty.

Back in the day, I've had VW & Porsche brake drums redrilled for Chevy & Ford but that was many years ago, needless to say I've never experimented with todays cars and trucks.

Aloha

Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Redrilling hubs is not that strange, gets done all the time. Obviously it should be done on CNC equipment, not hand drilled. Going from 5 to 6 (depending on how the patterns layout) may require having someone weld the old holes. And also need to do same to rotors or get the right rotor for the new patten - then you will be dealing with non-standard parts and any future work will be custom parts.

Wandell also hit the issue with adapters, that they'll push the wheel outward too far and cause clearance issues.

Quick Reply: 6 lug --> 5 lug conversion?