20 or 22s for '07 Lariat Super Crew 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 or 22s for '07 Lariat Super Crew 4x4

I'm sure this has been asked before ... probably several times. But, my 'search feature' was pretty long and did not answer my specific questions. Sorry.

I have a 2007 Lariat Super Crew 4x4 with OEM 18" wheels and the standard 275/65s.

I plan to run the 18s in the winter, but would like some "bling" in the warmer months here in New England. Chrome or polished .... but, not painted.

I've spent a bit of time looking at websites (both here and else where) and would like to run 20s or 22s on the rig. I think 305s would be the largest tire I would run ... and the normal 'street racer tire' that I see from Toyo and others are not what I'm looking for in my 4x4 rig. These may be good for some, but I'd like a bit more 'truck-like' and aggressive tread design.

One of my concerns is that switching to a larger wheel and tire will not be possible without 'lifting the truck'. I'm not in favor of lifting my truck ... it is leased. I plan to get a new one in 3 years. So, such a mod is contra intuitive to me.

Another concern is the ride comfort level. I would suspect that a larger tire with a lower sidewall profile is going to ride somewhat harsher than the OEM 18s. Right? And, they will weigh more than the OEMs, too. Right? Plus, I would suspect that this unsprung weight (is this true?) would change the handling of the truck ... yes?

Anyway, I would appreciate those that have done such thing with their late model 4x4s would give me some guidance here. I plan to buy some wheels & tires to hook up in the spring.

Thanx in advance.

BAGGER

Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you want a truck (offroad?) tire, I'd suggest a 305/55-20 (33x12.50) Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo Open Country AT or BFG AT KO on a 20x8 or 20x9 inch wheel with 5.5 or 6 inches of backspacing. You will probably be able to squeeze these on without a leveling kit. Also, you are right, this will have a minor affect on ride quality, handling, etc.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
Since you want a truck (offroad?) tire, I'd suggest a 305/55-20 (33x12.50) Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo Open Country AT or BFG AT KO on a 20x8 or 20x9 inch wheel with 5.5 or 6 inches of backspacing. You will probably be able to squeeze these on without a leveling kit. Also, you are right, this will have a minor affect on ride quality, handling, etc.
Very good suggestions above

OR, if you want a hair more blind, and want those 22s, you can still fit a 305/45/22 NO PROBLEM on there without changing anything. The 45 series should ride fine. It may be a bit more 'sporty' than the 18s, but I'm sure it won't be too rough. I have 40 series, and a 2/5 drop and it isn't bad. Still smoother than most vehicles ive ridden in.

I would also suggest the Nitto A420S tire. I have it on my truck, and love the veyr unique and aggressive tread pattern. It IS a street tire, but it has a very aggressive pattern.

check it out.

Quick Reply: 20 or 22s for '07 Lariat Super Crew 4x4