No TPMS Sensors - Flashing Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No TPMS Sensors - Flashing Light

Just traded my 04 SCrew for an 07 model yesterday (at a dealer that is two hours away). I liked the tires and wheels on my old truck better, so they said they woud swap them. No mention of TPMS.

About an hour down the road towards home, the light started flahsing on the dash. I knew about the TPMS but had been told earlier it was a passive system that worked through the ABS. Specifically was told that wheels and tires could be swapped with no problem. I thought I had a low tire, so I pulled over. Everything was fine. Got home and started reading owner's manual. Uh oh. TPMS works with wireless sensors that are banded to each wheel.

They'll have to pop the tires off the rims to install, then rebalance everything. I wonder what these things cost, or if I can just have them disable the warning light?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure of the cost of the sensors. I was told by my dealer the system could not be disabled because it is a safety feature. You just need to have the dealer remove the sensors from the OEM wheels and install them in your wheels.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
That'll wind up being an all day trip. Because of the deal I made with them, they're probably not going to be up to cutting me much slack either, or willing to work through my local dealer. I may just see about removing thge bulb.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Talked to the service advisor today. The dealership wasn't aware that TPMS had been delivered on the '07 F-150's. He said a Ford communication had said it wouldn't begin until '08 under a new Federal mandate for all vehicles. He checked with Dearborn and confirmed the early delivery of the feature. And also confirmed what Wandell said about it not being defeatable.

The sensors can be tranfered to new wheels, but only by cutting the bands and installing new ones. The bands are $56 each. So, add $224 to the cost of upgrading wheels. And forget going to bigger wheels or tires. The sensors are reportedly only compatible with the stock size.

I imagine a lot of folks will be taking those dash lamps out...

I imagine it might also kill the market for dealer conversions, where they send the trucks out for lift kits and monster tires. Under the federal mandate, I wonder if the dealers will be allowed to sell new trucks that aren't compatible with the factory TPMS.

I also expect compatible 3rd party sensors will be availble soon to suppor the aftermarket wheel and tire sellers.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird. My sensors in my Expy are just a small box bolted to the valve stem. Very, very easy to swap from one wheel to another.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep, that's what the advisor said he thought they were until he checked with Dearborn. BTW, I read that the sensors themselves are about $125 each. Installing 4 sensors and bands to a set of new wheels bought at the dealership could add almost $800 to the total price (plus added labor?). That's if the dealerships are even going to be willing to sell aftermarket wheels any longer. This TPMS situation seems to be catching them off-guard.

The Tire Industry Association is reporting that the valve stem sensors are easily damaged when servicing tires (whacked by the tire mounting equipment, or by over-tightening the core), and this may be the reason for the move to banded sensors.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
So is this for ALL 2007's???

Just wondering.....this would seriously affect my upcoming mods for a leveling kit and new shoes...

Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So is this for ALL 2007's???
Yeah, I believe it is, that's why I made sure my truck had the wheels I wanted factory installed.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
But they can be removed completely from the truck?
Incuding disabling the sensors on the dash??

Is this something that can be done at a dealer....?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM

But they can be removed completely from the truck?
Yes, you can remove them but then you will have that light on the dash blaring at you.
Incuding disabling the sensors on the dash??
I don't think you can disable the sensors or system
Is this something that can be done at a dealer....?
No

Your only option is cover up the T.P.M.S. light on the dash or pull the bulb

Old 01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Yes, you can remove them but then you will have that light on the dash blaring at you.

I don't think you can disable the sensors or system

No

Your only option is cover up the T.P.M.S. light on the dash or pull the bulb

To pull the bulb out, difficult?

Is there a DIY article for how to change the dash light bulbs?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM

To pull the bulb out, difficult?

Is there a DIY article for how to change the dash light bulbs?
Don't know how difficult it would be, never had to on these new trucks. As far as a DIY article, there might be if you tried searching, good luck.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Don't know how difficult it would be, never had to on these new trucks. As far as a DIY article, there might be if you tried searching, good luck.
I've been checking out the dash light removal procedure here on-line, and it looks like a pain. The dealer said they would take it out for $125. (I assume not all dealers will be willing to do this - liability.) If anyone sees any really good links on the procedure, please post them here.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by aftermarket
...this would seriously affect my upcoming mods for a leveling kit and new shoes...
You can move the sensors from your stock rims to the new ones, but you must buy new bands ($56 each form Ford). However, they may not work with new rims and wheels if there is a significant difference in size. And while you may not care, if the TPMS system then ever fails to notify you of low tire pressure, I doubt anyone will be willing to be responsible.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Has there been anymore people with this situation...if so how was it taken care of? I'm dealing with this crap right now. My tire guy is telling me a 17" band will work on an 18" rim....he says they are slightly adjustable.
Any coments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: No TPMS Sensors - Flashing Light