broken lug nuts on 99 f150 anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken lug nuts on 99 f150 anyone else?

I have a 99 f150 4x4 and I have had 3 lug not snap in the last year. The first one snapped while I was using a torque wrench to torque it to 100 ft/lbs. I went to my local dealer for a new one and I was told to hand re torque it to 100 to draw the new stud splines in. The stud snapped again. I went back to the ford dealer and they gave me a new one which worked fine. Today I went to rotate tire and removed my plastic center cover to find one lug with stud broken still inside cap. I spoke to the dealer and they say they have had no problems with these lugs. They mentioned that there was a recall on older models back when the lugs where silver in color, but the new black ones should be fine. I am going to replace all the studs on the hud that the one broke just to be safe. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fftello hoserbt@ticon.net

Old 01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fftello
I have a 99 f150 4x4 and I have had 3 lug not snap in the last year. The first one snapped while I was using a torque wrench to torque it to 100 ft/lbs. I went to my local dealer for a new one and I was told to hand re torque it to 100 to draw the new stud splines in. The stud snapped again. I went back to the ford dealer and they gave me a new one which worked fine. Today I went to rotate tire and removed my plastic center cover to find one lug with stud broken still inside cap. I spoke to the dealer and they say they have had no problems with these lugs. They mentioned that there was a recall on older models back when the lugs where silver in color, but the new black ones should be fine. I am going to replace all the studs on the hud that the one broke just to be safe. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fftello hoserbt@ticon.net
I believe the recall was on the lug nuts, not the lugs themselves. At least that was the recall I had on my 98.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems like a bad design

The lug nuts that came with the truck do not have a bevel on them. They have an attached washer which sandwiches the aluminum rim to the hub. The wheel is snuggly fit to the center of the hub but without any nuts tightened on, a person can turn the wheel side to side about 2 degrees like a steering wheel. It would seem to me that this design is asking alot of the soft aluminum rim material and as in my case, when one lug broke it allowed the hub to spin that small distance. All of the other 4 lug nuts had create d groves in the aluminum as they slid back and forth. Again, I am lookong for anyone who has had a simular occurance or problem. Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never had a problem with mine. just put a coat of anti-seize on the studs and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: broken lug nuts on 99 f150 anyone else?