May sound dumb

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May sound dumb

this may sound reaaaly stupid but the rims on my truck are reeeal ratty.. buying tires just thinking how i could spice them up without bustiin the piggy bank... i recently purchased paint spray guns and a sand blaster? is there any special kind of paint made for rims?? thanks alot

Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
sorry.. not the greatest of writers but i meant to say.. buying nice tires.. wondering how i could spice up the ratty stock rims?? open for suggestions

Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by stowe44
this may sound reaaaly stupid but the rims on my truck are reeeal ratty.. buying tires just thinking how i could spice them up without bustiin the piggy bank... i recently purchased paint spray guns and a sand blaster? is there any special kind of paint made for rims?? thanks alot
If you're thinking bout buying tires, you might look into a package deal (wheels/tires). You wouldn't have to break the bank and you might find something nice. You can try www.discounttire.com or www.tomzwheels.com

Good luck.
Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah the only problem with that is... i'm from Canada and its ALOT cheaper to buy rims and tires in the states most placed will not ship here.. but i will keeptrying

Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
i sanded and powder coated mine, in my opinion they look alot better than before....just and idea. and i just used high heat paint so i wouldnt have to worry about it chipping when the wheels heated up.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
yeah i was thinking powder coat to.. but can you do it yourself?? or whats the steps? i'v asked people around here where to take them and there is very few places close that do it and would be pretty expensive or what does it cost to send somewhere?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
its really easy to do it yourself. i have a friend of mine that used high heat spray paint and it looks just as good as mine. you just take the wheels off the truck.(use some jack stands to hold it up) get a good brush and soap and clean them off really well. you dont want any dirt on them. then get some 200 grit sand paper and sand them down really well. you want to have a rough but even surface. then wash them a second time. next you just tape off the tire around the edges of the wheel and spray on the paint. be sure to get an even coat. and if you do decide to do this, i recomend using high heat paint of some kind, because your wheels get pretty hot. i did mine about 6 months ago and they still look like i did it yesterday. they dont show brake dust anymore either.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
hmmm.. what color did you paint yours?? is there any type that looks like chrome? lol

Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
i did mine with a flat black to match the trim on my truck. but i did try out a spray on chrome first and it looked pretty tight. i think you can get the stuff at like autozone and if not there then probably lowes or homedepot. although im not sure if they have those in canada. you could try some paint website though.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most wheel companies carry cheap black wheels. Usually around $50-$60.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 PM
ya, but why spend that much money when you can do it for like $5 and a couple hours of your time?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
hmm i wanted to know about chrome spray on but i was wondering if it would chip off?? or is it high temp paint??

Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM
it all depends on what kind you buy.i had a can of spray on chrome, but it was like 10 years old. suprisingly it still worked, but i didnt use simply because of its age. im sure they have some spray on chrome that wont chip. you just gotta look. im not really sure what kind of selection they have in canada. but im sure you can find something on the net.

Quick Reply: May sound dumb