Some more brake questions...

Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some more brake questions...

Long time reader, first time poster. Usually I find the answers by reading, but not having luck finding all the answers this time.

1999 SCab XL 4x2 4.2L 178k miles - pretty stock and basic, nothing special

About 7-8 months ago, the wife is driving the truck (mistake, I know) and the ABS light comes on while she's rolling down the highway. Stays on solid, and has been on ever since - when I start the truck, it comes on about 10-15 seconds after starting the engine. I've relocated to the Northeast now, and if winter will ever come this year, I'd like to be prepared with a functioning ABS system. My issues -

1) Lots of discussion in threads about ways to get ABS codes manually - who can point me to a thread or sticky about how to do that? I have RABS only.

2) I see about 90% of the discussion revolving around the rear speed sensor. I've had trouble finding the part anywhere - is the dealer the best option here if that is the problem?

3) Anyone know of a thread or sticky on how to replace the rear speed sensor? I've not seen a whole bunch of discussion on how to safely replace this item.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Rod

Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the sensor on the wife's 2000 4.2. I did a search for ABS light and found a lot of info on it. Parts stores carry plenty of these sense they are the culprit most of the time with RABS for those model years.

Here is a link for one.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...rential+Sensor

1. unplug the old one.
2. unbolt it with a 10mm, i think
3. bolt in the new one, and plug it in.

There you go. Worked for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some more brake questions...