Rotor Replacement Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor Replacement Question???

Just checking on some new rotors, are the NAPA replacement rotors any good? Should I get drilled or slotted or drilled & slotted??? Also what type of pads should I put on after I change the rotors, ceramic, metallic, any other????Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated......

Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Most recently, I went with NAPA drilled and slotted, with carquest "blue" semi metallic pads... best combo so far. Ceramic pads ate the rotors (pads lasted longer than rotors).

Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by akheloce
Most recently, I went with NAPA drilled and slotted, with carquest "blue" semi metallic pads... best combo so far. Ceramic pads ate the rotors (pads lasted longer than rotors).
I wouldnt go ceramic either. I found some powerslots from tirerack.com for 80 a piece. I havent looked to see what NAPA offers, but I have been pleased with NAPA in the past.

As far as slotted and drilled, I think mostly its a waste of money. The slots/drilled rotors allow gas, generated by braking that can impede clamping force on the rotor, to escape. This improves braking, especially hard braking like when racing. So unless you are going to be racing, I say save a couple bucks on rotors and spend it on caliper paint, or maybe some of those sheilds to reduce brake dust on the wheels. IMO

Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Redneck
That's not true any more. Older organic pads contained water & other volatiles that could produce a layer of gas between the pad & rotor which could be vented by slotting, but modern pads don't outgas.

Drilling was originally to reduce rotating mass &/or unsprung weight on vehicles with bigger rotors than needed (race cars, sport bikes). But on anything else, they're cosmetic and HURT braking performance by RAISING temperatures & INCREASING wear.

For a truck, the best pads & rotors are stock.

Quick Reply: Rotor Replacement Question???