brake line rubbing my new tires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake line rubbing my new tires??

I recently got new Micket Thompson 35s and they came on when my lift was puit on. Soon after I noticed a rattling noise when I would idle or turn left, I thought it would go away but it hasn't. my first thought was some line was rattling against the frame or where it was held to the frame. I just went and checked it to see if I could figure out the problem and I noticed that when I jiggled my brake line it made the same noise, so I found the source of the rattling. Then I also noticed that they were resting against my new tires. i looked around the tire and noticed some very slight wear on them where the line was rubbing.

I plan on getting the rattling fixed simply becuase its annoying and shouldnt happen. But my question is should i become my big priority as in it being bad for my tires to the point where I need to fix it as soon as possible.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd fix it now, even if you just zip tie it out of the way. You don't want it to rub through and cause your brakes to fail.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by hartung14
I recently got new Micket Thompson 35s and they came on when my lift was puit on. Soon after I noticed a rattling noise when I would idle or turn left, I thought it would go away but it hasn't. my first thought was some line was rattling against the frame or where it was held to the frame. I just went and checked it to see if I could figure out the problem and I noticed that when I jiggled my brake line it made the same noise, so I found the source of the rattling. Then I also noticed that they were resting against my new tires. i looked around the tire and noticed some very slight wear on them where the line was rubbing.

I plan on getting the rattling fixed simply becuase its annoying and shouldnt happen. But my question is should i become my big priority as in it being bad for my tires to the point where I need to fix it as soon as possible.
It should be a priority getting fixed not for the fact that the tire shows a little wear but you don't want it rubbing through the brake line.

Mike

Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM
wow that thought had never crossed my mind

I guess you really do need an outsiders opinion sometimes

Old 01-07-2007, 03:47 PM
wow that thought had never crossed my mind

I guess you really do need an outsiders opinion sometimes
Ya, having brake issues would not be a good thing!

Mike

Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
wow this was the smartest post i will ever make.

I went to look at the line again with some rope handy and when to battle this, Ford put a sleeve over the brake line. My sleeve over the brake line had been completely flat on one side. The tires rubbed right through them and they were starting to go to the brake line itself. I tied them up to my leaf springs for now and plan on taking them to a shop to see if there is a better fix.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
wow this was the smartest post i will ever make.

I went to look at the line again with some rope handy and when to battle this, Ford put a sleeve over the brake line. My sleeve over the brake line had been completely flat on one side. The tires rubbed right through them and they were starting to go to the brake line itself. I tied them up to my leaf springs for now and plan on taking them to a shop to see if there is a better fix.
Ya caught it just in time. Good job

Mike

Quick Reply: brake line rubbing my new tires??