That Freaking front brake vibration!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That Freaking front brake vibration!!

That shaking and vibrating drove me crazy - Mannn, this was a drawn out problem - First thing I did is purchase Brembo Rotors and new Carquest Ceramic pads - within 20 miles , it was shaking/vibrating once more. Crap!!

I purchased New calipers after that($100 eBay) Y? - I noticed that my older pads were waring on an angle, instead of an even pressure ware pattern. So Caliper piston pressure was not equal(drivers side only).

I surface ground the Ceramics lightly to make sure they were flat (a fresh start) and installed the new calipers.

That stop most of the vibrating issues - I still wasn't happy with it tho , it seamed rough.. Here's why - This is my first set of Ceramic pads (LifeTime Pads) Gold series.
The Pads in the past that I've purchased was the the CarQuest 2yr Blue pads - There not as harsh as the Lifetime Golds.

I replaced the Golds with the Blues - Stops quicker and smother , no Vibration , no shake. Those Ceramic life times are a hard pad and heat up the rotor fast.

The Brembo's survived thru it and didn't warp .

I'll stick with the CarQuest Blue 2yr guarantied pads, I've always been happy with those pads.

Hope this saves someone some time.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-31-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh God do I know, those "gold" pads hadn't made vibrations for me, just incredible squeeling after 7-10 000 km's. I switched pads for different ones, same thing, then I went to "blue" pads and never looked back. The gold ones stopped fine it seemed, just noisey with alot of dust. The blues are better by 1000 times, no issues at all. I even had gold's on the rear, same damn thing. I mentioned this to Carquest, the issue was not the first and appreciated my feedback both on the gold ones and especially on the blue ones.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:27 PM

Yeah , NEVER ONCE had a squeeling or dust prob with those.

They look cool too Ford Blue on new calipers

Last edited by jbrew; 12-31-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Verdict: Blue pads rule, 99% dust free, great stopping and no crap. I tell anyone I can throw a stick at to get these. I think the Gold ones may be for commercial uses, couriers etc. The ford blue color is hardly seen through my sawblade 17" rims, but the idea is cool.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, the CarQuest blue pads are made by Wagner. Good stuff.... The OEM brakes on my Explorer were only good for 50k. The CarQuest blues have been on the Explorer for going on 75,000 miles now, and when I checked the pads last week at the tire rotation, it appears they'll easily go another 75,000 miles without a sweat!!

-Joe

Old 01-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah , lesson learned , Like I said I always used the Blue pads - I switched to the Golds wanting to get the best for the truck - They cost more than the Blue pads. I'm stuck wid em tho - I tried to trade them back in for the Blues since the Golds were lifetime guarentied , they laughed lol. Hey, it was worth a shot

Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
FWIW, the CarQuest blue pads are made by Wagner. Good stuff.... The OEM brakes on my Explorer were only good for 50k. The CarQuest blues have been on the Explorer for going on 75,000 miles now, and when I checked the pads last week at the tire rotation, it appears they'll easily go another 75,000 miles without a sweat!!

-Joe
That's a negatory on the Wagner, on the box it says Raybestos. In any case, both manufacturers are equally praised. I just wonder if in the states they use Wagners and here in Canada is Raybestos, I dunno.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Huh? My parts guys must be ill-informed then. They told me wagner just last week when I was in there (not defending them, just passing on the info.... garbage in = garbage out, I guess!) I suppose they could source the parts regionally too... you never know.

Found this info on the CQ site:
CARQUEST Friction & Hydraulics
Supplied by Brake Parts Inc., a Division of The Affinia Group.
Wagner is made by Federal Mogul, per the Federal Mogul web site....

From the technical bulletins on the CarQuest web site, I found this too:
http://www.carquest.com/common/downl...akePD05-09.pdf

They test their product against Wagner, so I doubt Wagner makes their competition's product.... I guess they were wrong. I'll have to ask them about it next time I'm in there....

-Joe

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM

LOL - I'm gonna have to look on my boxes tomorrow now lol.. Immuh freak and save all my brake boxes - with the olds inside ..

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
just stumbled on this too:

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/defau...e=art&id=80257
AFFINA ASSEMBLES A FAMILIAR CREW

If you’ve been thinking something seems vaguely familiar about the top management line-up at Affinia Group Inc, you are right. Just two years after spinning off from Dana Corp., Affinia Group Inc., has spent this year undergoing restructuring efforts, including reorganizing its top management team.

Many of the key players who made up the Dana Automotive Aftermarket Group’s (AAG) top brass are now leading Affinia. Terry McCormack, who led Dana AAG, serves as president and CEO of Affinia. John Washbish, former president of customer relationship management for Dana AAG, holds the same post at Affinia. Jerry McCabe, Dana AAG’s former vice president of marketing for the Under Hood Group, was promoted to the position of vice president, communications & marketing services just prior to Affinia taking over ownership of the company. All three execs have been with Affinia since the beginning. Now, their original crew has been rounded out by the addition of Terry Shively, who joined the company in September. Shively served as vice president and general manager for Clevite Engine Parts (a former Dana AAG brand) and is now vice president for strategic market development for Affinia Group, Inc.

Affinia also made some strong new additions to its marketing team this year with the appointment of Jeff Stauffer, former vice president of marketing for the consumer products division of Old World Industries, to senior VP global group marketing; and Bruce Reau to serve as vice president of category management for Affinia’s Under Vehicle Group. Prior to joining Affinia, Reau served as president of Pioneer Inc., a supplier of engine and driveline products.
Which led me to this:
http://www.affiniagroup.com/wps/portal/affiniagroup

Apparently Dana spun off some of their holdings to another holdings group... Spicer Chassis, Raybestos, and Aimco to name a few.

Interesting evolution of the industry.... I've been out of the loop, I guess...

-Joe

Old 01-03-2007, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the links Joe , that answered another question about WIX, I had asked in the engines forum aswell.

Quick Reply: That Freaking front brake vibration!!