Brake Dust - Asbestos??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Dust - Asbestos??

I still notice asbestos warnings on most brake pad and late model service manuals? Is this left over from the old days, or do modern day break pads still have asbestos fibers in them???

I am working on a 2001 for a time context of the question.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Though asbestos brake linings have been mostly phased out, contrary to popular misconception they have not disappeared altogether. According to one original equipment brake supplier, Ford was still using asbestos linings as recently as 1993 on the Crown Victoria to cure a brake noise problem. The same supplier also said asbestos linings are still used on some high end import vehicles such as Land Rover because of their good braking characteristics. What's more, asbestos linings are still readily available in the aftermarket.

The above paragraph was pulled from a website brought up by a google search on asbestos. Kind of surprised me. I thought this stuff was long gone.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I would suggest using a dust mask when replacing brake components.

I never use compressed air to get rid of brake dust when doing maintenance. The compressed air just makes all of that dust airborne and more prone to breathe that stuff in.

I buy a bunch of cans of brake cleaner and spray the heck out of everything before I remove calipers, brakes, etc...

This is what I do...just a suggestion if you are doing brake work.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Yea, but if you think about asbestos abatement - the dust mask only does partial good. The fibers can be on your clothes and then get respirated later. Unless the fiber here is different (I wouldn't think it would be). Answers my question - I guess I need to worry about it. Seems to be a high risk job.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust - Asbestos??