Remove Master Cylinder Resevoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Master Cylinder Resevoir

Time for a new plan. I can't get the resevoir off the master cylinder and thought I would ask before I tore up more parts. I tried using the large screw driver or pry bar, as per directions in the service maunal, but just how much force does it take? I must be missing something and am frustrated by a seemingly simple thing. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, V8, All wheel drive, Auto everything. The ABS light is on also, the start of all of this activity. Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I was using the factory service manuals for my 95 F150 4X4, maybe that was my first mistake? but the instructions that came with the new cylinder looked the same. Brakes seem to be OK, just the light is on. Pads good, lines good, no leakes, good pedal, short travel, stops great.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Don't quite understand what's going on. If the ABS light is on, you need to scan for codes. Fluid resevoir doesn't have anything to do with ABS. I believe there's a plunger/valve inside the master cylinder that needs to be disconnected from the pedal assembly? I've only changed one in all the vehicles I've owned, and that was years ago, so what do Iknow?

Old 12-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree - what code is turning the light on?

The '05 MC might be similar (or even identical) to the '95, but the diagnostic procedure for the ABS light is SIGNIFICANTLY different. There's no reason to remove the reservoir unless it's leaking, or the float has sunk, or the switch is bad. If the MC itself it bad, & the new one doesn't include a reservoir, you'd have to swap it over, and yes: it takes a LOT of force (judiciously applied) to pop it out of the grommets. Some penetrating oil or spray silicone lube usually helps, but the reservoir often doesn't survive anyway. Be prepared to buy a new one no matter what.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had to put mine in a vice a use a 14" flat bar to get my resovoir off mr crown vic master cylinder.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM
If you are low on brake fluid or if the fluid level indicator switch malfunctions you can get an ABS light on the dash. If you do ever have to remove the reservoir for some reason it is far easier to just push the reservior off perpindicular to the centerline of the master cylinder. No tools required, just push it off with both hands after you anchor the master cylinder is securely anchored. I have removed hundreds of them this way and only had maybe two of them that were damaged in the process. I suspect those two would have had to have been replaced regardless of the removal method.

Quick Reply: Remove Master Cylinder Resevoir