Chrome Wheels Going Bad?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Wheels Going Bad?

So, I've only had the truck a few weeks, and it looks like thye chrome package wheels are already going bad. At only 7,000 miles, I can't believe it! They are pitting and have what looks like black "crazing" cracks and specks on them that are rough - almost like I took coarse sandpaper or steel wool to them. I guess I'll be going to the dealer. Anybody else seeing this? I know brake dust is damaging, but this is stupid. I wash the truck at least once a week - sometimes more. I wonder if they will work me a deal on some 20" aluminums?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Very nice truck, Smoke!
I like the graphic on the side and the shell! Actually, I like the whole darn truck!
Can't hurt to ask the dealer about trading up.

Mike

Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Did you put the graphic on yourself? Looks good.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by mgsalida
Very nice truck, Smoke!
I like the graphic on the side and the shell! Actually, I like the whole darn truck!
Can't hurt to ask the dealer about trading up.

Mike
Thanks for the compliments. I stopped at the dealer yesterday and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. So, I figure I'll give it a few more weeks, and if there is a problem, it will surface with the winter salt. I don't know if I really like the 20's yet. I like bright chrome. Maybe if the 20's came chrome clad!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by 00Ford4X4
Did you put the graphic on yourself? Looks good.
Thaks to you, too, 00Ford4X4. Yes, I did put it on myself. I started doing custom cut mylar graphics (long before this preprinted stuff was avalable) when each piece had to be individually cut and placed, so this was relatively painless. The new technoloy is less time consuming, and the material quality has come along way, but I'll say that installing a 132" long graphic with one person is not a project for just anyone. There is a little more than meets the eye. It's not just like putting an STP sticker on the back window.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I have never had problems with my chome cladded wheels. aren't those 20"s on your truck already? if not they sure look it. If not i'm guessing the 18"s? But anyways I dont know what it could be. Have you ever waxed them to keep them extra safe? have you used a harmful chemical of any sort on them?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
I have never had problems with my chome cladded wheels. aren't those 20"s on your truck already? if not they sure look it. If not i'm guessing the 18"s? But anyways I dont know what it could be. Have you ever waxed them to keep them extra safe? have you used a harmful chemical of any sort on them?
No, they are 18's. I think I may try some Never Dull and see if it works. I am sure it is the brake dust causing the problem. I may have to get Kleen Wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome Wheels Going Bad?