I think I already know.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I already know.

I think I already know the answer to this but I would like the forum members input on this. I took my 05 150 into the dealer to replace a leaking rear axle seal. The gear oil was everywhere and had soaked into the brake pads. I saw this when I was installing new tires ..What a mess. The dealer changed the seal and the emergency brake pads But they cleaned the roter pads with brake clean and reinstalled them!! We had a few words about this but they refused to change them.Went home cussing.only to find out when I got home that the rear end cover was leaking also that the emergency brake pedal went all the way to the floor.I have already been on the phone with Ford but this sounds like this is going to get ugly

What do you guys think about the brake pads that didn't getreplaced ?

Last edited by Creekmaster; 12-11-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once the brake pads have been contaminated with gear oil, IMHO, they should definately be changed. I don't know what the official policy is, but I would think that because the failed warranted part (axle seal) caused damage to a non-warranted part (e-brake shoes and rear brake pads) the non-warranted parts should be covered. (assuming it was a warranty job)

As for the e-brake not functioning, that's just sloppy workmanship by the tech that did the job. There's really no excuse for that, but a simple adjustment should be all that's needed. I suspect the tech reinstalled everything and just forgot to adjust the shoes as they have to be manually adjusted.

-Joe

Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from the dealer , they resealed the differental cover and adjusted the emergency brake.
I agree that since it was a warranted part that failed they should replace the oil saturated brakes. This truck has 20 K miles now. I did not mention the brakes today to the dealer. I figure I will be taking this up with Ford.
I was searching the brake mfg for infomation, I know that I am right but how do I prove it.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: I think I already know.