New Tires: Good on Snow all-seasons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Tires: Good on Snow all-seasons?

Hi y'all,

I have a 2002 SCrew 2x4 with the 17" OEM wheels.

After 75,000 miles the original (P275/60R-17) BFG Longtrail T/A's are about wore out.

We use this vehicle mostly as the Family-truckster thus, it rarely goes off pavement. I tow a trailer for camping and a lawn mowing business in the summer (~3000lbs net).

Are there any exceptional all-season tires out there I should be aware of?

We don't often get bad winters here in SW Missouri but I have been very glad I bought snow radials for my Miata. I got them because I run summer-only hi-performance tires the other 3 seasons.

Do any of you run snow radials on your truck? If so, where are you located and why did you choose to spend the money on 2 full sets of tires for your rig?

If you run all-seasons, how do you like the snow capabilities?

I welcome your recommendations.

Thanks,

Last edited by MiataMan; 12-05-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't get Bridgestone Dueler's! They are great in the snow for the first year, but they wear very quickly! I had three sets, first set 20,000 miles, second 15,000 and third set had 5,000 before I traded in the truck. Never towed anything, never beat it, never off road.... Just junk tires. Bridgestone kept replacing!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by sammer4u
Don't get Bridgestone Dueler's! They are great in the snow for the first year, but they wear very quickly! I had three sets, first set 20,000 miles, second 15,000 and third set had 5,000 before I traded in the truck. Never towed anything, never beat it, never off road.... Just junk tires. Bridgestone kept replacing!
Sammer
Which Bridgstone Duelers are you talking about? You refering to the HT's??
I am looking at the Dueler APT III for my next set soon. Know anything bout them??

Thanks for your help
Mike

Old 12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
I work for Firestone Ag Tires. I wouldn't get the HT's. The Duelers I have had on both my trucks are A/T Revo. Excellent, and possibly the best tire on snow other than the Blizzaks. You want to see a tire wear out the go for the Blizzaks. The LT tires are stiffer and made of a slightly different compound than the non-LT and non-Revo tires. There are several different Duelers out there and I had to talk with the tire guy a while before finally settling on mine. The Revo's are engineered to wear faster when new than when "broken in". The longer they are on the truck the slower they will wear. I drive on pavement, dirt, gravel, grass, asphalt, mud, snow, ice, and anything else you can think of and love the A/T Revo's!! Never let me down and never been stuck.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I've done some research and the Revo's are very highly rated. One of my buddies also runs Revo's and says that they're great.

I've checked tirerack and they want $183 each :o. Does this sound like a typical price for 265/70-17 Revo's?

I really can't blow nearly $800 on tires right now.

Suggestions?

Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 AM
I have had both the Dueler AT, and the Revo... The AT really wore fast, too fast. I only had 4,000 miles on the Revo's but they were showing signs of quick wear. I would not recomend any Dueler's! Unless you change them every 10,000 miles! I do not know anything of the APT III... but with the Dueler's I got the joy to experience.... I would not think they are any better!

Last edited by sammer4u; 12-08-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by sammer4u
I have had both the Dueler AT, and the Revo... The AT really wore fast, too fast. I only had 4,000 miles on the Revo's but they were showing signs of quick wear. I would not recomend any Dueler's! Unless you change them every 10,000 miles! I do not know anything of the APT III... but with the Dueler's I got the joy to experience.... I would not think they are any better!
Sammer4u:
Thanks for the info. I'm in the early stages of tire purchasing so.....still researching.

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 PM
MiataMan you are right on the money with this. Like I said I work for Firestone and have first hand knowledge of not only the ratings, but also how they are built, and with what they are built. The Dueler A/T Revo is one of the highest ratet tires. It is built with the best rubber compounds, and will last a lot longer than sammer has indicated. Perhaps he has gotten into a "bad batch" or his driving is a bit more extreme than he indicates. Mine lasted upwards of 40,000 miles. Not a lot of miles compared with some tires on the market, however you need to realize that sometimes you pay for performance not longevity. Since I drive racecars on dirt for a hobby, I always look for performance, even on my tow vehicle and street car. I can easily spend $300 a week for my racecar on tires. What's it worth for your family being inside with only the tires between them and the road surface? That price sounds about right. I get a pretty hefty discount so I don't ever hear what retail is, but I did some math and that is pretty close. Now that I have said my piece ... Good Luck!

Quick Reply: New Tires: Good on Snow all-seasons?