How to turn off ABS

Old 12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to turn off ABS

i have a 2000 F-150 supercab 4x4 and i have the problem of the abs at slow speeds kicking on and even when i really need them in the snow it makes it difficult. I heard that there is a sensor gone bad but it cost a lot to fix and im a college student. normally this was fine living in south eastern michigan it was ok flat ground and the snow wasnt bad, now i live in the U.P with alot more snow and a lot more hills and the brakes need to work great. Now my question is can i turn off the abs by pulling a fuse. I looked but all of the abs releated fuses seem to have other important compnents so is there a way to turn the abs off i used to drive a truck with no abs so i can deal without the abs. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Is the ABS light on? This means they're not working anyways. Make sure your pads aren't glazed first, as this will "feel' like the ABS when the brakes slip.
You can unplug the sensor wires on the front wheels under the hood at the pigtails, and the rear on top of the differential.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM
abs is off in four wheel low

Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 AM
no its not the pads because it did it before i changed them and after and i never have it four low no need to an thanks for help to unplug them guess i will just have to do that

Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrism9232
abs is off in four wheel low
Since when???

The most common cause of the ABS activating falsely is the rear abs sensor. It's a $15 part and is simple to replace. (located at the top of the rear diff) Without knowing what's falsely triggering the ABS, it's difficult to guess where the problem is, however.

Defeating the ABS is not a good idea either. No matter how well you feel you can threshold brake, the simple fact of the matter is that the average person cannot modulate the brakes well enough to avoid a skid in the first place, and once skidding, regaining steering control is difficult at best. ABS prevents you from losing that steering control in the first place.

Also, there are only two specific conditions where a full lockup will stop you faster than ABS can: Deep, soft snow, and loose sand or gravel. In those two instances, a pile of rubble builds up in front of the tire as it digs. In all other cases, an ABS stop will be faster.

Getting back to the problem, you're far, far better off getting the problem fixed. A knowledgable tech at Ford dealership can certainly troubleshoot it pretty easily.

-Joe

Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recommend doing it, but pulling the ABS fuse is an answer to your question on how to disable it.

Last edited by APT; 12-05-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to turn off ABS