Are My Rotors Gone

Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are My Rotors Gone

Everytime I come to a stop my brakes squeek and squeel. Im sure the pads are gone (original) but both front rotors are not smooth anymore. They have lines in them etc. Also It seems like I have to press the brake pedal to the floor will new pads help this? Ive never installed pads on a truck just anatv. I was gonna install my leveling kit tommorrow along with new front pads but if the rotors are bad would this to any good?

Last edited by HiVoltage14.4; 12-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:45 AM
minor groves/lines can be machined out. if you put the new pads on the old rotors your waisting your time and money, they will squeek, vibrate and wear faster

Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
ford brakes squeak, rattle, and all that anyway. its just gonna happen. do you drive down rock or dirt roads regularly? rotors may just have some dust on them. where i work is down a gravel road so its very dusty. i washed my rotors off after coming home from work and they stopped squeaking until i went back to work.

last time i had my brakes done i got new front rotors and pads all the way around. they still squeak and i know the brakes were done right. took them to a guy i trust and i checked them myself.

a few grooves on your rotors arent going to hurt anything. its when you get gouging that you run into problems. just replace the pads unless you want an upgrade. don't do replacement rotors.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have r1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads, no noise at all...

Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
ford brakes squeak, rattle, and all that anyway. its just gonna happen.....
I have done multiple thousands of Ford brake jobs and they do not squeak, rattle or squeel....there are things that can be done to prevent these symptoms. Bevel pads, lube sliders, lube contact points, turn and wash rotors, etc., etc., etc.

Originally Posted by chiefFX4
......Last time i had my brakes done i got new front rotors and pads all the way around. they still squeak and i know the brakes were done right. took them to a guy i trust and i checked them myself.
As stated above, yes thay may have been installed properly and safely but apparently it was a long way from being done right.

A brake job that is done right, with the correct brake lining material for application, correct caliper prep and lubrication and metal wear surfaces that were correctly prepped will not make noise.

The only real exception to this is excessive brake dust or dirt accumulating on the brakes that can cause some noise when not cleaned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are My Rotors Gone