inside pad worn out

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inside pad worn out

99 f150 110,000 miles. I think i put pads on this unit a few years ago, but not sure. anyway, the right front inside pad is worn to metal. the rest are all fine, showing at least a quarter inch left. is this a sign of a sticking caliper? Im looking for some larger rotors, but havent found any reasonable prices.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 PM
yup, bad caliper, its not releasing like it should.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With a stuck caliper, you'd expect to see the inboard pad (against the piston) worn excessively compared to those on the other side of the vehicle, and the outboard pad barely worn at all. That's because the piston would be pushing its pad against the rotor, but since the caliper isn't sliding, the outer pad gets no force pulling it into the rotor.

A defective inboard pad would produce a similar wear pattern, but it should be obvious when you inspect the slides since it would take a LOT of interference (severe rust, bent metal, foreign object, etc.) to resist the force applied by the piston. So if the inner pad is worn, but there's no resistance to the caliper sliding, it indicates a defective inboard pad.

If only the outboard pad is worn excessively, it can ONLY be due to a defective outboard pad.

With a stuck piston, neither pad on that corner of the vehicle would be worn.

If both pads are worn excessively, it indicates a problem with the OTHER wheels' brakes, causing these pads to do more work.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
^^ steve is right on the money as far as im concerned

Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Talking

I had the same problem.....new inside pad worn to the metal. I got my advice from the guys here to lube the slider's real good and that solved my problem. My calipers were fine.

Quick Reply: inside pad worn out