I had a set of new BF Goodrich All Terrains 285 75 17 put on my 2000 4X4
at Costco, they look and drive great. I am confused by the fact they filled
with Nitrogen vs. Air. Fill was done at 50 psi. when tires call for 65. Can I
now only fill with nitrogen, and how would one equate they balance if needed
to be filled with regular old air if nitrogen isn't available?? Where does one
find the Nitrogen Gods??

Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitro fill is a grea thing, its what is used in NASCAR. It helps to get more even and longer wear on the tires as well as more MPG due to the fact the gas expands and contracts at more drastic temperatures so the tire keeps the same tire pressure more consistantly. You can definately add regular air to the nitrogen air if you need to but should then take it to a place and they will take all air from the tire and fill it back with only the nitrofill. From my experience its free for the life of the tires to get refills, so this should not be a problem, just go back to costco. I defiantly would keep the fill because it is great in all aspects and for about $5 a tire, everyone should do it.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
1 Nitrogen does not have moisture in it.
2 Does not expand as much as air when heated, but does expand.
3 You will not get longer tire life.
4 When the tire was put on the rim what do you think was between the empty space of the rim to tire, yes AIR.
5 Sales gimick to get you back, you need a brake job, wiper fluid, muffler bearings, doo hicky replaced
6 Total BS for the standard customer

Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I thought one of the main benfits is that it will not seep out as much as regular air. That's why I want to fill my tires with it. Do you guys loose 1-2 psi a week from your tires?

Also, if it holds your tires at the correct PSI for a longer amount of time and does not expand and contract as much as normal air, then wouldn't that increase the life of your tires?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I recommend a 72% mixture of nitrogen, with about 21% oxygen. That seems to be the most cost effective way of keeping your tires inflated. Although nitrogen resists Boyles' law better (volume of gas and temperature is directly proportional) it does not help for leaky tires (if you are losing 1-2 psi per week, you have other problems). We use nitrogen in our aircraft primarily because of the moisture issue (when you have $8000 wheels-each and split rims, you dont want corrosion... at all, ever). I have never seen corrosion be a major problem for normal automotive tires. Nitrogen also helps with the expansion contraction thing, but unless you're driving to 20,000 feet on a regular basis, I wouldnt waste your money.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Becker, what you are saying about expanding and contracting is correct, nitrogen does both expand and contract but you are incorrect about how you stated it. The temperature at which nitrogen will expand and contract is much higher, and lower respectively than that of oxygen and this is why its a better fill. With less change in the tire pressure, you will recieve a more stable ride, and get better gas milage, not saying 4mpg but maybe 1 or so. You will also have better wear on your tires, because if the pressure does not change as often, there is less of a chance of unever wear or rough wear on the tires, because when having oxygen in the tires if your tires change to different pressures over time it will affect the wear and integrity of the tire. JMO

Old 10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by spinnintires
Becker, what you are saying about expanding and contracting is correct, nitrogen does both expand and contract but you are incorrect about how you stated it. The temperature at which nitrogen will expand and contract is much higher, and lower respectively than that of oxygen and this is why its a better fill. With less change in the tire pressure, you will recieve a more stable ride, and get better gas milage, not saying 4mpg but maybe 1 or so. You will also have better wear on your tires, because if the pressure does not change as often, there is less of a chance of unever wear or rough wear on the tires, because when having oxygen in the tires if your tires change to different pressures over time it will affect the wear and integrity of the tire. JMO
Not to start a pissing contest but, I never said they would contract. The only benefit about the tire expanding and tire wear would be if you new what the pressure would be when hot, since your tire is now filled with nitro and not air (lets just call it air) then the original pressures are out the window. What would you inflate the tire to for extended tire life? Yes there are benifits to nitro, but you are waisting time and money for nothing. As far as gas milage, if the tire was inflated properly to begin with I don't think you would ever see a change. I still think it's a gimic to get the customer back in.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by akheloce
I recommend a 72% mixture of nitrogen, with about 21% oxygen. That seems to be the most cost effective way of keeping your tires inflated. Although nitrogen resists Boyles' law better (volume of gas and temperature is directly proportional) it does not help for leaky tires (if you are losing 1-2 psi per week, you have other problems). We use nitrogen in our aircraft primarily because of the moisture issue (when you have $8000 wheels-each and split rims, you dont want corrosion... at all, ever). I have never seen corrosion be a major problem for normal automotive tires. Nitrogen also helps with the expansion contraction thing, but unless you're driving to 20,000 feet on a regular basis, I wouldnt waste your money.
Crap, I had a feeling that wasn't right, can you give me some ideas of what to look for? The truck/tires only have 3000 miles on them.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
The most common cause of slow leaks is either a leaky valve stem, or a damaged rim/ crap around the bead. (ive even heard of pinholes in aluminum rims) You can try a soapy water test, but with only 1-2 psi a week, that might not show up very well. You but a little dishsoap in some water in a spraybottle, spray it on, and look for bubbles. If all else fails, have them remount them and put new valve stems on.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by akheloce
I recommend a 72% mixture of nitrogen, with about 21% oxygen. That seems to be the most cost effective way of keeping your tires inflated.
uhhhh. isnt that just regular air? like the kind your breathing right now???

Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Bingo!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
amazing that guy could sell air sad thing is most people would have bought it not knowing the diff

Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Duffman0286
amazing that guy could sell air sad thing is most people would have bought it not knowing the diff
Dont get me started on dihydrogen monoxide.....

Old 10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
when it rains it pours.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 AM
HORSE $#1+ i used nitrogen in my racecar cause i was burnin the tires off.it did keep the temp down a little more but not enough for the hassle.AND THAT WAS IN A RACECAR!!! not a truck on the street.i think it is pretty funny that people go for it,good sales gimmick.you might also want to change your blink fluid,chrome polish your muffler bearings,bore out your canooter valve and change the air in your tires,oh wait you allready did that hahaha.if you wanna go for nitrogen in your tires do it,i just didn't see a good enough reason to use it in anything when air is FREE without havin to buy new tires or deal with dumbass "technicians" well,i don't think it kept the temp down but the pressure due to less expansion.nascar,hell yeah cause every ounce can be the difference in 1st and last but in anything under 150mph its not gonna make a difference so why bother?

Last edited by way fast witey; 10-19-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrogen Air Fill??