ABS Light "ON" After Tire Change

Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Light "ON" After Tire Change

The other day I ran over a nail and punctured my tire. After I changed to the "smaller" spare, the ABS light came on and stayed on, even after getting a new tire and putting it back on.

I have checked the brake fluid level and it's good.

I pulled the speed sensor from the differential and it reads about 1300 ohms, so I think that means it's ok from what I have been able to search out here.

I turned on the lights, disconnected the neg battery cable, left if off for 20 min, turned off the lights and put the cable back on.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the light won't go off, or anything else I can check?

I think I have just RABS because I could not see any sensors anywhere by the front wheels.

I'm gonna try and code it tomorrow, that is if I can get the frickin passenger kick plate off without breaking something.

I just thought it was weird that a tire change would make the light come on and stay on.

When I start the truck up, both the ABS and break light come on for a second, then both go off, then the ABS comes back on solid, even without the truck moving an inch.

Thanks, and I appreciate any knowledge anyone could throw my way. I can't afford to have this fixed at a shop right now.

Doctor_Sheesh
2002 Supercrew
2WD

Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Was it a front or rear tire?

You can't reset the ABS light as you would the MIL. The system has to reset it by performing a successful self-test. Yours is a "hard" fault. Whatever the fault is, it is present at power-up. That means it's an open or short circuit on one of the ABS computer's inputs or outputs.

Keep at that kick panel, and read the code(s). That will give you the direction you need to diagnose.

Remember that that last, long flash has to be counted in your total.

Steve

Old 07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Steve.

It was the rear driver side tire. Also for what it's worth, the truck has 44,000 miles.

I'll try and get that code.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Well the whole ballgame just changed. My fault. I'm not as smart as I pretend to be.

I just found the front sensors, so I guess that means I have 4W ABS. That is if they look like the rear one, 1 screw, mounted right next to the rotor next to each front wheel.

So now I guess the code and all that is mute.

Should I get the same ohm reading on the fronts as the back? I guess thats the only thing I can check?

Sorry Steve for the wrong info.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Both front sensors should about read the same (1.0 - 1.5K kohms).

'Bout the only thing left that you can easily check without the scanner.

Steve

Old 07-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks again.

I just got out from under the front and think I found the problem. When we brought the truck they did a factory lift and put on bigger rims and tires. (thats how we found it on the lot)

Well, well, well, looks like they didn't consider that the sensor cable just might rub on the inside of the bigger rim, almost cutting the cable in half. Thus they didn't move the cable around and get it out of the way.

Damn

Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't panic child...

If your spare tire is a different size that the rest of the tires it will trigger an ABS light. once you mount the regular size tire it should prove out fine. after driving.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by 99Txtruck
If your spare tire is a different size that the rest of the tires it will trigger an ABS light. once you mount the regular size tire it should prove out fine. after driving.

...not if your wiring harness was damaged as was the OP's....

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Light "ON" After Tire Change