Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Garage is empty, add now

ABS Light "ON" After Tire Change

The other day I ran over a nail and punctured my tire. After I changed to the "smaller" spare, the ABS light came on and stayed on, even after getting a new tire and putting it back on.

I have checked the brake fluid level and it's good.

I pulled the speed sensor from the differential and it reads about 1300 ohms, so I think that means it's ok from what I have been able to search out here.

I turned on the lights, disconnected the neg battery cable, left if off for 20 min, turned off the lights and put the cable back on.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the light won't go off, or anything else I can check?

I think I have just RABS because I could not see any sensors anywhere by the front wheels.

I'm gonna try and code it tomorrow, that is if I can get the frickin passenger kick plate off without breaking something.

I just thought it was weird that a tire change would make the light come on and stay on.

When I start the truck up, both the ABS and break light come on for a second, then both go off, then the ABS comes back on solid, even without the truck moving an inch.

Thanks, and I appreciate any knowledge anyone could throw my way. I can't afford to have this fixed at a shop right now.

Doctor_Sheesh
2002 Supercrew
2WD
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F250 6.8
Was it a front or rear tire?

You can't reset the ABS light as you would the MIL. The system has to reset it by performing a successful self-test. Yours is a "hard" fault. Whatever the fault is, it is present at power-up. That means it's an open or short circuit on one of the ABS computer's inputs or outputs.

Keep at that kick panel, and read the code(s). That will give you the direction you need to diagnose.

Remember that that last, long flash has to be counted in your total.

Steve
Old 07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks Steve.

It was the rear driver side tire. Also for what it's worth, the truck has 44,000 miles.

I'll try and get that code.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Well the whole ballgame just changed. My fault. I'm not as smart as I pretend to be.

I just found the front sensors, so I guess that means I have 4W ABS. That is if they look like the rear one, 1 screw, mounted right next to the rotor next to each front wheel.

So now I guess the code and all that is mute.

Should I get the same ohm reading on the fronts as the back? I guess thats the only thing I can check?

Sorry Steve for the wrong info.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Both front sensors should about read the same (1.0 - 1.5K kohms).

'Bout the only thing left that you can easily check without the scanner.

Steve
Old 07-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks again.

I just got out from under the front and think I found the problem. When we brought the truck they did a factory lift and put on bigger rims and tires. (thats how we found it on the lot)

Well, well, well, looks like they didn't consider that the sensor cable just might rub on the inside of the bigger rim, almost cutting the cable in half. Thus they didn't move the cable around and get it out of the way.

Damn
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150/Lobo
Send a message via Yahoo to 99Txtruck
Don't panic child...

If your spare tire is a different size that the rest of the tires it will trigger an ABS light. once you mount the regular size tire it should prove out fine. after driving.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Txtruck
If your spare tire is a different size that the rest of the tires it will trigger an ABS light. once you mount the regular size tire it should prove out fine. after driving.

...not if your wiring harness was damaged as was the OP's....

Steve
Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM