Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Old 04-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Garage is empty, add now

33'' vs 35'' Tires

I cant decide wether i want to just get a 2.5'' leveling kit and 33's or the 6'' kit and get 35''s. how much of a difference in gas mileage is there between the 2 sizes? this will be on an 04 f150 5.4L. if i'm only gonna loose a couple miles per gallon i might just go with the 6''. gas is a huge factor for me.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
You don't tell us what truck you have. The 35" should fit with the leveling kit if you have a 04-06 4x4 on stock rims. Many on here have this set-up. If gas is a huge issue then I would leave is stock.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

i did say..it will be an 04 f150 5.4L. i thought that you couldnt use your stock wheels with a suspension lift on these. something about the backspacing? maybe i'm confused.....
Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to BalogUK
ive got 33" muds on a 2.5" leveling kit on the stock wheels and i have lost 2-3mpg... what type of tire are you going to run- at's wont see as large as loss that an MT may see...

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Roush Offroad Sound Clips:
Ignition Short Accel Merging Regular Driving --- Mods Done
Old 04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Garage is empty, add now

ya man i was gonna try to run as light of tire as possible. i like your truck....i'm from bozeman too...once i gte mine we'll have to get into some mud .
Old 04-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyet04
i did say..it will be an 04 f150 5.4L. i thought that you couldnt use your stock wheels with a suspension lift on these. something about the backspacing? maybe i'm confused.....

Yes you did tell us what truck. As you can see from the rest of my spelling I was a little side tracked. It sounded to me like you wanted to go with 33s or 35s? Then the way you phrased the question it sounded like you thought you needed a lift to clear 35s. I have no idea how the stock rims interact with a suspension lift. If you are calling a the leveling kit a suspension lift then yes you can you your stock rims. Look at BalogUKs truck. There are others on this board running 35s with only a 2 or 2.5 leveling kit. The only problem with the 35s is the chance for irregular and premature tire wear from a 12.5 wide tire on the narrow stock rim. The 33s are 12.5 also, but it seems we have seen less reports of irregular tire wear with the 33s vs. the 35s. I would stick with an AT. The tire will last longer and not be as much of a drain on the gas tank. The BFG AT KOs are a great tire. Do a search you will find a few guys with pictures that have them with the leveling kit. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Garage is empty, add now

i know what i can and cant fit. i'm not callling a leveling kit a a suspension lift..cause its not one. all i need to know is if there is a big difference in gas mileage between the 33's and 35's. thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
2013 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
As long as you either get your speedo/odo recalibrated for the larger tires or compute your MPG's with the corrected miles traveled, then you should not see too much a drop, but you will drop a mpg or two....

The 35's will be heavier then the 33's and they will be heavier then the stock tire so you will have to overcome that. Plus, they are probably wider, so there will be a little more rolling resistence to overcome.

If you keep the stock gears, you might see a bigger drop in city mpg then hwy because you will be 'bogging' the engine more from a stop with the taller tires.

If you only have 3.55 gears, then I would only go to the 33's. You might get away with the 35's with the 3.73 gears, but it'll still 'bog' pretty bad IMO...

Mitch
Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to BalogUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyet04
ya man i was gonna try to run as light of tire as possible. i like your truck....i'm from bozeman too...once i gte mine we'll have to get into some mud .
rockin man- go to school here? any pics of your truck?

GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Roush Offroad Sound Clips:
Ignition Short Accel Merging Regular Driving --- Mods Done
Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

went to high school in bozeman ..now i'm taking the year off.... no truck yet...i'm still in the process of buying the right one. i'll drop you an email once i get the truck and lift...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 PM