Replacing '97 4 wheel ABS module

Old 04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing '97 4 wheel ABS module

Wondering if anyone on here has replaced the abs control module on their '97 four wheel abs system? (the rear only abs module is completely different i've read)

My abs light was on forever and I finally paid a mechanic to scan it and it needs the module.

The mechanic said putting it in is easy, although the part is expensive. My brother in law is also a mechanic and was pretty sure it was an easy job. I found a used one I could buy pretty cheap. Can anyone confirm how easy or hard it is to install? I see where the unit mounts right by the brake booster and it looks like 4 or so screws hold it on and two wiring connectors. Does the abs light need to be reset with the scan tool afterwards or would disconnecting the battery do it?

Last edited by ct150; 04-03-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Are you replacing the HCU or the control module?

The computer resets the light when it determines that the fault no longer exists. Removal of power does not reset the computer.

The control and hydraulic modules are both different between the 2 and 4 wheel versions.

Steve

Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
i was going to replace just the control module, although the used part i receive may end up including both the control and the hydraulic modules.

yes, i'm aware the 2 wheel abs module is different and i definately ordered the one for 4 wheel abs.

so you're saying as long as the part fixes the problem, the light should go away on its own?

Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi, I just did mine after about 2 years and I wish I did it long ago. It is very easy just the 4 screws and 3 sets of wires, there's one on the bottom for the pump. It takes 15 mins tops, including removing the air filter for access. If you do just the module it will be stuck on so tight you'll think there's more screws, but there's only 4. I got the whole module, pump and manifold from a junk yard for just over $100 but after I tested the pump, by jumping it to the battery, I decieded it wasn't worth the effort to do the rest. Also, according to the dealer the 97-98 module is discontinued. A rebuiler I talked to wasn't sure if he could rebuild it, but says the 97-98 are very reliable. Anyway, good luck.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
thanks for the info 5spd. glad it was easy.
just a little confused...
did you end up doing just the module, or the module and the hydraulic part below? also not sure what you are referring to when you say pump, the hydraulic part below the module with the brake lines coming out of it?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi, I did just the module. Under the module attached to the manifold(the part with the hydraulic lines) is the pump. It's what causes the "pulses" felt through the brake pedal when the abs activates. The system not only opens and closes valves but it applies pressure to each brake line, as needed. Once you get the module off you'll see it. It's toward the front of the truck attached to the manifold. If you have both the abs light and the e-brake light on then you probably have a bad pump.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:03 PM
great thanks for the info.
i just have the abs light on, so i guess i should be good with the module.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:00 PM
SUCCESS
Fixed for only $100.
Replaced the module only and sure enough...abs light is finally gone!
Can't believe I lived with it for a year and half like that and the only reason I fixed it was because I'm selling the truck and didnt want the abs light being on to kill the value. I should have done it long ago.

Took me more like an hour to do. That one electrical connection with the extra red clip baffled me a bit and I didnt want to destroy it unplugging it. Never saw anything like that before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing '97 4 wheel ABS module