new tires voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires voiding warranty?

hello, i have a stock sport f150... i'm looking to increase the overall tire size on my truck...and was curious as to what, if any aspects of the warranty this would void by doing so.

a friend had told me this could possibly void many aspects having to do with suspension components.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 PM
There is a law called the magnuson-moss act. It deals with these issues. It basically comes down to this. They can void your warrenty because of aftermarket modifications to your vehicle. Most after market lifts, airintakes,etc are built to manufacture spec and in most cases better than OE. The dealer would have to prove in court that what mods you did were the cause of whatever failed. As long as you hadn't done any gross mods yourself, you are fine. Tires will certainly not be a problem , except it will throw your speedo out of yack. Look up the law for yourself. If they throw crap at you, remind them of this law.......

Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wife'sF150
There is a law called the magnuson-moss act. It deals with these issues. It basically comes down to this. They can void your warrenty because of aftermarket modifications to your vehicle. Most after market lifts, airintakes,etc are built to manufacture spec and in most cases better than OE. The dealer would have to prove in court that what mods you did were the cause of whatever failed. As long as you hadn't done any gross mods yourself, you are fine. Tires will certainly not be a problem , except it will throw your speedo out of yack. Look up the law for yourself. If they throw crap at you, remind them of this law.......

i know when i called a ford dealership about just dropping the back end to level the truck, a manager there told me it would void a couple components...what he said they were i can't remember off the top of my head, this was a while back...and him telling me it would void anything persuaded me not to do it.

the friend who initially told me changing the tire size would void things on the warranty said that the reasoning behind that is that whether its dropping the back end or changing the tire size, id be changing angles of the suspension that would otherwise be fixed causing the suspension to lay in a way in which it was not originally intended...and therefore voiding certain aspects of the warranty.

so ideally, what i want to do...is make my truck sit level by dropping the back end and add bigger tires to fill up the wheel well (something big enough to fit in with enough clearance and without adding a lift)...all without voiding aspects of the warranty. my last car was a complete lemon...so when i got this truck i got the best warranty option available, the last thing i want to do is start voiding things.

thanks again for your help everyone.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a technical term for dealers like yours. I can't seem to remember it off the top of my head. Oh yeah, I remember, he's an idiot!

Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree with Wandell...my dealer does modified trucks in house all the time, then covers the entire rig under warranty. In fact, they have a 250 PS crew cab that the dealership mounted an 8" lift and 35" or 37" tires on, along with some performance modifications. It all depends on your dealership. Mine? They created a modifications department to meet with during your purchase, and provide installation services, too...

Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 AM
"so ideally, what i want to do...is make my truck sit level by dropping the back end and add bigger tires to fill up the wheel well (something big enough to fit in with enough clearance and without adding a lift)...all without voiding aspects of the warranty. my last car was a complete lemon...so when i got this truck i got the best warranty option available, the last thing i want to do is start voiding things.

thanks again for your help everyone."

so everything i want to do i should be able to do without voiding the warranty?

and if so...would i have to go specifically to a ford dealership to do it...or can i go elsewhere as long as theyre ASE certified?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NC FX4 Scab
I agree with Wandell...my dealer does modified trucks in house all the time, then covers the entire rig under warranty. In fact, they have a 250 PS crew cab that the dealership mounted an 8" lift and 35" or 37" tires on, along with some performance modifications. It all depends on your dealership. Mine? They created a modifications department to meet with during your purchase, and provide installation services, too...

I wish they had a dealer like that around my area!

Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
There is a dealer in Potosi, MO who teamed up with Bob Chandler (sp?) of BigFoot to make some serious kick ash trucks, from the dealer. I think the biggest you could buy from them was a Superduty with 8 inches of lift and 38" tires. And it came with a warranty.

Quick Reply: new tires voiding warranty?