Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Dust

My 05 Lariat Supercrew has about 5,400 miles on it. I am noticing an extreme amount of brake dust on the front, compared to the rear. My front rims are almost black, while the rears are almost totally clean.

I haven't had the wheels off yet to inspect, although peeking through the spokes of the rim, it appears that the front pads are considerably more worn than the rear.

Anyone else noticing this? If this rate of wear continues, I will probably looking at brakes at about 10,000 miles.

Happy Holiday's!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM
AWouldn't be untypical. Ford has the worst brake dust of any car on the market right now, a title they took from mercedes benz (but benz has a reason, some of the best brakes in the world from a facotry car)

You can change the pad (when due) to a lesser dusting pad, like EBC or an organic if you really want little dust. Shields are an option, but cause issues for about 50% of the people who use them in heat buildup and rotor warping (which is already a ford issue)

Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
AWouldn't be untypical. Ford has the worst brake dust of any car on the market right now, a title they took from mercedes benz (but benz has a reason, some of the best brakes in the world from a facotry car)

You can change the pad (when due) to a lesser dusting pad, like EBC or an organic if you really want little dust. Shields are an option, but cause issues for about 50% of the people who use them in heat buildup and rotor warping (which is already a ford issue)

I was going to say that. ALL Fordsa I have seen have HORRID brake dust problems. Look at any Expie, Navi, F150, ranger, etc and they ALL, even the brand new stuff have diosgusting brake dust problems. The dust also may cause some squeeling.

Whenever i go to the car wash, i spray the drums of the rear and the rotor area of the front and look at how much black floats away with the water. This way my brakes won't tend to "glaze" over and start sqeeking.

When I say glaze though I don't mean like my track super sport bike rortors. When I race it on the road track I move hard and deliberate. Eventually all the braking will glaze the rotors. The glazing in this case, is glazing like " filling the scoring with dust creating a false glaze.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when my stock brake pads were done i swiched to the EBC greenstuff and i get alot less brake dust and better stopping power, good luck

Old 12-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by kcward
My 05 Lariat Supercrew has about 5,400 miles on it. I am noticing an extreme amount of brake dust on the front, compared to the rear. My front rims are almost black, while the rears are almost totally clean.

I haven't had the wheels off yet to inspect, although peeking through the spokes of the rim, it appears that the front pads are considerably more worn than the rear.

Anyone else noticing this? If this rate of wear continues, I will probably looking at brakes at about 10,000 miles.

Happy Holiday's!
YAP! FRONT PRODUCE MORE BRAKE DUST BECAUSE YOU IT IS NOT ONLY MOVING ROTARY BUT LEFT AND RIGHT. THERE'S AN AIRFLOW COMING FROM INSIDE DUE TO ENGINE COOLING FANS WHILE THE REAR PROTION HAS ONLY AIRFLOW WHEN THE VEHICLE IS MOVING, AND MOST AIR IS COMING FROM THE OUTER SIDE.
HOPE THIS WILL GIVE YOU SOME USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT AIR DYNAMICS.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Ceramics!

Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks all!

My 02 Supercrew started eating brakes after the first brake job. I finally ended up with ceramics all around. I don't remember brake dust like this on my old truck.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-2005, 11:18 PM
I Changed to Carbon Metallics years ago, and have very low dust and excellent braking and Long lasting brake pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust