Problems with Mickey Thompson ATZ's

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with Mickey Thompson ATZ's

I'm having all kinds of problems since I put on new tires and rims. My setup is Eagle 178 w/ MT ATZ 325/60/18. The main problem is that I can't get the shake out of the steering wheel. The tires have been balanced and rotated 3 times at 3 different shops and I still have a BAD shake in the steering. The odd thing is that some days it's worse than others and it's not because of temp change. Any ideas on a solution. My last two trucks have had 35'' and they rode smooth as silk. One last question. Would a load range D tire ride better than an E range tire? MT ATZ are E range Nittos' are D range. These tires ride rough as crap. Any help would be great.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:10 PM
I have the same issue and don't know what to do. I too have had them rebalanced 3 times. I also had one tire replaced. Some days the steering wheel shakes and some days it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be affected by temp either. I have BFG AT 285/55/20. I also don't know if it's the wheels or tires causing the issue.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried having them road force balanced? You may have a defective tire or wheel.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Also try torquing the lug nuts down.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Id guess you have a defective tire or rim. My second guess would be improper backspacing but im sure you got that right

Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
Have you tried having them road force balanced? You may have a defective tire or wheel.
i agree with wandell, go to a shop that can road force balance then you will be able to see if there is a problem with a tire or wheel

Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know of any shops in my area ( Va Beach, Va.) that has a road force machine. It is driven me up the wall. I have had 4 trucks, all lifted w/ tires and never had a problem like this. I wonder if it has something to do with the truck itself. What are yoour feelings on the ride difference between E and D range tires?

Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that would be a problem.
As for road force balancing, go to Hunter's website. There is a place that you can enter your zipcode and they will give you a list of area shops with a Hunter 9700 road force balancer.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by wandell
I had mine road force balanced twice. One time they did a centerline balance and the second time they a tape a tack road force balance or something like that. I still get the vibe half the time. I was thinking it may be the truck too but not sure what it could be. I was going to put the stock setup back on and see what happens.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you guys need to call and bitch at micky thompson and find out if there's a recall. i had the sterring wheel wobble and vibration at highway speeds with my procomp tires but it was fixed with a rebalance with new weights. They wore to crap and didn't last. The santa ana shop guys were jackholes and blamed the dealer. The dealer wouldn't touch it even with a service bulletin related issue. I went to laguna hills 4wheelparts and they new exactly what it was and fixed it. :santa:

Old 12-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I might sell the ATZ's and buy some Nittos.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I have spend a lot of time and money lately on level kits, alignments, tires and numerous wheel balances, and this is my conclusion FWIW--maybe it will save someone on here some time and money.

I believe that the suspension or steering rack is almost too sensitive for a heavy duty light truck tire.

I have stock BFG Rugged Trails and BFG ATs that I switch up occasionaly. I have both sets road force balanced. No matter how I move the tires around (i.e. back to front, front to back), I have a slight steering wheel nibble with the BFG ATs, but smooth as a babies but ride and no steering wheel nibble with the BFG Rugged Trails.

Maybe my stockers just have a better balance , but my ATs are within road force spec, so I still believe we just have a sensitive suspension.

If you have them road forced, ask if you can watch or at least tell them you want to know the force rating on each tire--lower the better and >25 is excessive and can be the cause of your vibration or nibble.

Also I have tested level kit on and level kit off with both sets of tires, and level kit off provides less nibble, steering wheel road feel, and a smoother ride--truck looks so much better with the level kit it in though.

There it is. Hope this helps. :santa:

Quick Reply: Problems with Mickey Thompson ATZ's