Most shops overcharge for brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most shops overcharge for brakes?

Some stores I see doing brakes for about $100 per axle.. Why is it that when I call many other shops they ask for like 160-220 per axle? That is ridiculous!

Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try it at one of the $100 places. See what happens. I have NEVER got out of one of those places for $100. The higher-priced places are just more realistic and (just my opinion) much less likely to "find" other things wrong.

Everyone I know who has gone into one of the $100 places suddenly found out their car had leaking calipers, etc... And, of course, if you can't or aren't in the mood to do your own brake pads/shoes, you're surely not going to want to tackle a big brake issue like that, plus you're already there.... Sure is a lucky thing you brought it in today, who knows what might have happened if you'd waited...

Old 12-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I'll second that. I had my truck diagnosed at Tire Kingdom and Firestone. They both had $80 an axle brake jobs. Both wanted to replace pads, rotors, calipers and leaking wheel cylinders that weren't. Both were in excess of $600.

Long story short thanks to this site and few others I replaced the front rotors and pads myself. While I was at it I put in new front shocks. It rained so I will put on the new rear shocks Monday. Speed bleeders are a blessing! Total cost was less than $150 and about 6 hours of time. I went with ceramic pads and slotted rotors. She rides like a new truck and stops with a firm pedal. Can't wait to get the back shocks on.

As posted in other threads getting the rotors off was not easy and I am a big ugly . Beat them, beat them and beat them some more.

I tip my hat to this board and its members. You have saved me much money. I learned a great deal about my truck and why so many of you have a love hate relationship with them.

1997 Ford F150 Lariat 4X4 SC.
90,000 miles

Old 12-24-2005, 09:10 PM
just do it yourselves and quit complaining bout the $$$. you guys want the trucks you r gonna pay the big bucks. get over it

Old 12-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Depends on the car really. Some cars you can get pads for $12 (obviously the cheap ones) and some cars you can't get them for less than $60. I know, I run a shop. I charge $119 an axle. That includes pads, turning the rotors, and labor. I rarely ever replace lines or calipers, they just don't go bad that often. We had one of those shops here, called America's Service Station (shoulda been America's Ripoff station) and they did a job to my Lawyers wifes expy. $900 for rotors, pads, calipers, and lines. Long story short, he's a good lawyer and they went out of business here.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:38 PM
98Navi

If I ever end up back in Atlanta I'll look you up.
Unfortunately I fear that you are the exception to the rule.
Todays vehicles are sophisticated and most folks do not have the time, location, tools or knowledge to tackle these jobs. The service shops use FUD, fear uncertainty and doubt, to sell overpriced parts and questionable service to the above mentioned clients. I do not mind anyone making a profit but I have seen too many part mark ups of 400% and recommendations for service not needed. I am a perfect example, two service shops two quotes with few of the same recommended services. All I needed was new rotors and pads.

Topgun,
Merry Christmas to you too.
I know my friend's Acura, my coworker's BMW, my mother in-law's Mercedes and my wife's Lexus all have parts much more expensive than my old pick up.

Quick Reply: Most shops overcharge for brakes?