same old adage - BFG A/TKO vs. Nitto TG

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same old adage - BFG A/TKO vs. Nitto TG

Ok...I'm sitting here in a cross-roads trying to decide on which way to go - the old stand by-BFG AT-KO OR the new boys in town-Nitto Terra Grapplers...

The set will sit under my 2002 Screw FX4 and I need them pretty darn quick...the snow has hit and it's looking like a long winter. The stock Goodyears have taken me 71K and I'm surely not complaining...were they the best tire? no, but I got a lot of good road miles (and trailering) out of them and never had one issue. Little history, I purchased my two previous trucks used and both need tires as soon as I brought them home...with a little research, I decided mount up BFG A/T - KO in the 285/70-16...I really don't have anything bad to say about the BFGs they worked well NOT great - little skittish in the slush!

Now it's been a few years since those past two trucks...now I am running strong with my '02 FX4 and tire research has changed. There are more A/T tires out there now with more sizes available. During my research I keeping across the Nitto Terra Grappler. Hmmm low cost lots of sizes and kind of kool looking...

People on the board seem to have a lot of views on both of these tire & thats good! I'm just trying to get a little better feel for one over the other...I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling for either. The past few years, tire engineering has come a long way (I also club race and racing tires HAVE REALLY changed) - yet the BFG A/T hasn't changed for the most part - is it that it's that good OR is BFG sitting back and hoping to ride out the wave that started years ago. They were one of the first to do the A/t tire...but lots of people have jumped on the wave and I think have developed some really neat stuff...hence the Nitto Terra Grappler!

So, here are my questions:

Is the Tarra Grappler good in the snow and slush?
Will the 295/70-17 fit my stock FX4?
Will I get the mileage out of them that I did with the BFGs (~50K)?
What are the road manners of this tire?
Is this a decent towing and hauling tire?
Am I just kidding myself that this is a comparable tire to the BFG A/T in traction and control?
Does anybody have pictures of these tires on their Screw?

I'm about the spend 7 to 8 bills on tires...just curious.

thanks - t

Old 12-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by highboy

So, here are my questions:

Is the Tarra Grappler good in the snow and slush?
Will the 295/70-17 fit my stock FX4?
Will I get the mileage out of them that I did with the BFGs (~50K)?
What are the road manners of this tire?
Is this a decent towing and hauling tire?
Am I just kidding myself that this is a comparable tire to the BFG A/T in traction and control?
Does anybody have pictures of these tires on their Screw?

thanks - t
1. Can't answer..I'm in SC. They do great in the rain though.
2. Yes
3. 5k miles so far...too early to tell
4. Excellent...not too loud for a truck tire.
5. Never any problems for me but I don't haul really heavy loads. Kinda depends on what you are towing/hauling.
6. Hmmm...it's possible. The BFG's were about $1200 here (if you could find them), I got the Nittos for $700. Are the BFGs that much better...really? Major factor in my decision was the price. I hope the mileage is comparable or I'll be buying 2 sets of Nittos to one of BFG. That would suck.
7. Yes, there are several on here...use the search

Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 AM
I have the Terra Grapplers on my 02 Screw 4x4, and they aren't aggressive enough for me. They are very quiet, and look like they will last a long long time though.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
thanks guys...

To qualify the hauling and towing usage. I use this truck as a truck, I haul gravel, mulch, stone, etc., and for towing, I tow my 22' Sea Ray (~4700lbs) to the lake which sometimes is a 9 hour drive one way. So, I'm concerned with capacity, reliability and road manners.

...StngStr - "not aggresive enough" how do you use your truck? Do you think the BFG A/T KO would fit your purpose?

I'd like to say that money isn't really the decision maker, but it does factor in a bit when you are talking $203 for BFGs & $168 for Nitto TGs...

hmmm...

Old 12-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither....

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos

Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM
the REVOs are nice...don't get me wrong...BUT they don't have the meat and grunt the BFGs and Nittos have...I do do some pretty nasty driving when I load my 4-wheeler and mountain bikes and I like to know I have that little extra traction when it becomes a little sketchy...

also, I didn't think they came in a 285 OR 295 width...

Old 12-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bfg

Quick Reply: same old adage - BFG A/TKO vs. Nitto TG