Road/Tire Noise help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road/Tire Noise help

Ok i've search but couldn't find the answer. I use to have a stock Michelins 255/65/17 and it rides quietly no noise. Then i put a stock FX4 tires Goodyear Wrangler A/T 275/65/18 with 2k miles on it. Since i put the Goodyear tires, i started having tire or road noise especially on the driver side, not sure about the passenger side since i'm not on that side . Any fix on this? Or is Goodyear louder than Michelin? Tire rotation maybe or get a different brand of tires. I also tends to collect more dirt on my left front side since i install the 2" leveling kit. It's starting to annoy me. Tire experts i need some advice . Any input will help.
Thanks

Old 11-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Well I'm no tire expert but I believe the bf goodrich has a more agressive tread design and the rubber might be a bit harder maybe the load rating is different??. Usually when I look at michelin's their tires seem to be very low-key and for maximum comfort with very smooth surface type patterns. Mud terrains, and rock crawlers have the big lugs and open spots that create the noise. I think it's due to the change type of tire. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:21 AM
I finally put out the money and bought a set of michelins for my Explorer last year. By far it is the quietest tire I have ever had before and it is what I will be using from now on.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Talking

It is probably the:

1. Treads on the tires.

2. rotors. They are probably warped.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tires may be worn unevenly. I've heard cupped out all terrian tires that sounded like Super Swampers.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM
I agree with the cupped tires and the tread pattern theroy's. You could perform a simple test to check tire wear patterns. Take your hand and move it with the direction of the tire (front to back) trying to stay with the level of the tread if you feel a in difference the tire is cupped. You can also take your hand and move it side to side and feel for "sharpened or feathered" tread also know for some noise but mainly alignment issues.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
My cupped 35" ProComp's were fixed with a rebalance. It also had a steering wheel wobble above 65mph which I tried to have looked at because of the service bulletin but all the dealers just blamed the lift. I finally went to Laguna Hills 4wheelparts because santa ana sucks donkey ***** and they knew what it was but unfortunately i'll be lucky if I get 20k miles on this set.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reply guys

Quick Reply: Road/Tire Noise help