20" Chrome wheels in winter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20" Chrome wheels in winter??

For you guys who live in the States that see snow and ice in winter, do you leave your 20" chrome wheels on your truck, or do you put the stock wheels back on? I just bought some, and living in Ohio, we see both. Not sure if I should wait until spring to run them? Then switch them out every winter. One thing, tread life would last longer. Just asking for advice..

Old 11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Cool

i dont personally have 20 inch chrome rims but i see lots of people take em off, but its because they have regular street tires on them and they put on their factory set cuz they have all season tires or all terrains, so i would say it depends what kind of tires you have on your 20's cuz there is a right way to take care of the chrome in the winter from the salt and everything,

just letting you know what ive seen from my friends so goodluck, hope it helps any

Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Salt on the roads will wreak havoc on chrome wheels. I am not willing to have the damage on my chrome wheels, so I just got some good A/T's with good snow ratings and use the stock wheels in the winter.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
When I lived back in Minnesota, I always had two sets of tires for my vehicles with custom rim & tire packages. One was my nice "street" set for the summer, and the other was a set of good snow treads on the original factory rims. The salt was horrible for the rims, and with the extremely cold weather we had back there, it was very difficult to take care of them properly by cleaning and waxing.

Plus, custom tires tend to be wider, which generally is not a good thing in snow -- narrow tires with a nice aggressive tread will perform light-years ahead of any wide street tire in these conditions!

Old 11-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
When I lived back in Minnesota, I always had two sets of tires for my vehicles with custom rim & tire packages. One was my nice "street" set for the summer, and the other was a set of good snow treads on the original factory rims. The salt was horrible for the rims, and with the extremely cold weather we had back there, it was very difficult to take care of them properly by cleaning and waxing.

Plus, custom tires tend to be wider, which generally is not a good thing in snow -- narrow tires with a nice aggressive tread will perform light-years ahead of any wide street tire in these conditions!
Thanks for the help guys. That is pretty much what I thought. Hopefully, I can run them for a few weeks, since I just bought them. Always, thanks again..

Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Good luck. I've already switched to my winter wheels because we had a snowing that caused the plows to be out before Halloween.

Quick Reply: 20" Chrome wheels in winter??