35" Tire Balancing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35" Tire Balancing Problem

I know I already posted this in the 04-06 forum, but I wasn't thinking so I am just going to post it here too, just in case.

I just recently got a set of 35X13.50R20 Pro Comp Xtreme ATs on Eagle Alloy 114 wheels 20x8.5 (+22mm offset/5.475" Backspacing) from 4wheelparts and the guys at the shop told me when I was picking it up that I would have a slight "nibble" in the steering wheel until I had it Road Force Balanced. Well I've had the RFB at Discount Tire and it still shakes all over the place! I was doing a search and came up with http://www.counteractbalancing.com/ Has anyone heard of counterbalancing? Does anyone else have this problem with the steering wheel shake after getting new/bigger tires. If so, how or did you get it fixed? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes I am having the same problem after I got 285/55/R20 BFG all terrains. The steering wheel shake was pretty bad so they rebalanced them. It still had a slight shake so I took it back today and they did the road force balance. They said one or more were out of round. I haven't been on the freeway yet but I was going about 50 mph and I swear it was shaking a little. I am pretty sure I still have a problem. It drives me crazy and I don't know what they can do now to fix it.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:39 PM
If your tires won't roadforce balance within spec, call the tire maker and ask them what they will do about the tires--they should replace them with tires that will balance properly.

BFG is sending me to their local warraty service tire place Monday so they can verify the problem. I am expecting them to replace them if they won't balance properly. I only have about 800 miles on them...

Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
I bought a set of 24" wheels a few weeks ago and I have had them rebalanced at least 6-7 times and the shake is still there. Right now im in the process of suing the shop to get my money back since they can't resolve the problem.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am just going to have to go back to 4wheelparts and try to get the tires exchanged. I wish you all good luck on your dealings with the tires as well. I just hope it's not the truck's fault!

Old 11-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I just went in again for the 3rd time. THis time they did what is called a tape and tack(?) road force balance instead of the normal centerline road force balance. Not sure how either one work. Anyway they ended up replacing one of the tires. They pulled two off the shelf before they found one that was not out of round. I thought that was strange. Anyway I hope this finally fixes the problem.

Quick Reply: 35" Tire Balancing Problem